Police re-arraign man who lured girl with 50 kobo, Viju milk before defiling her


A 57-year-old man, Aminu Ibrahim, has been re-arraigned at a Jos Upper Area Court for allegedly luring an eight-year-old girl into his shop with 50 kobo and Viju milk drink before raping her.

Ibrahim of Goda Sagai community in Jos North local government area was charged with criminal intimidation and rape.

The accused was previously arraigned on May 26 this year.

The police prosecutor, Inspector E.A. Inegbenoise, of the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department, had told the court that the mother of the victim reported the matter at the Nasarawa Gwong Divisional Police Headquarters on April 26.

Inegbeniose said the accused lured the girl into his shop with 50 kobo and Viju milk drink and then raped her.

He said that the mother of the child noticed that her daughter was walking with difficulty, which made the victim to tell her mother what had happened to her. The prosecutor said that the victim told her mother that the accused said he would kill her if she told anyone.

He said the girl, thereafter, led her parents to the shop of the accused and identified a bench he used during the raping.

Inegbenoise said that during police investigation, the accused confessed to having committed the crime.

The accused, who was previously on remand, was granted bail in the sum of N200, 000 with a surety in like sum.

This was after his counsel, Mr. David Adudu, prayed the court to grant his client bail.

Adudu in his prayer claimed that the accused was hypertensive and needed medical supervision.

He assured that if the bail was granted, his client would neither jump bail nor interfere with police investigation.

But the prosecutor prayed court to deny the bail application as there were qualified medical doctors in prisons, who could take care of inmates with health challenges.

Inegbenoise also argued that owing to the nature of the crime, the offence was not bailable, unless under special circumstances.

The Judge, Mr. J. Yahaya, however, admitted the accused to bail in the sum of 200, 000 and a surety in like sum.

Yahaya said that the surety must be a ward head, residing within the jurisdiction of the court. However, the case which was assigned for continuation of hearing could not hold as judges of the lower courts are currently on strike. The matter was adjourned to July 21 for continuation of hearing




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here