Melaye hospitalised after turning himself in to the police


The representative of Kogi West Senatorial District, Mr. Dino Melaye who has been having a running battle with the police has finally turned himself in after seven days of police siege to his Abuja home.

But he had to be rushed to a hospital following asthmatic attack on his way to the office of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS).

A police source who craved anonymity said the senator had had asthmatic attack and fainted on his way to the office.

“Despite using inhaler, the senator still acted weakly. So instead of bringing him to our office, we had to take him to the hospital for proper treatment since health comes first. It is only someone who is alive that we can investigate; so we need him to get well before we proceed with any investigation,” said the source.

Premium Times reports that Melaye willfully made himself available to police, according to one of his aides, Mr. Bode Gbadebo.

From his account, Melaye was visited by some colleague lawmakers around 3p.m. Friday afternoon, alongside his lawyer, Mr. Mike Ozekhome.

Lawmakers who visited him included Ms. Boma Goodhead and a senator from Kogi, Mr. Atai Aidoko-Ali.

It is not clear whether the lawmakers convinced Melaye to surrender, but Gbadebo said the legislators accompanied the senator to the police headquarters where they were told that the inspector-general of police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, was not immediately available.

They were informed that the senator was wanted by SARS and should report to their commander’s office.

Consequently, Melaye and some of the lawmakers who accompanied him went to the SARS office.

It would be recalled that more than 50 police officers had laid siege to his Abuja residence Friday, December 28 to arrest him for alleged culpable homicide, an allegation he denied.

The Police disconnected electricity and water supplies to the house which he holed himself up in a bid to smoke him out

It would also be recalled that while impasse with the police lasted, Melaye approached the Abuja division of the Federal High Court urging the court to order the police to vacate his residence.

But Justice Nkeonye Maha turned down the ex parte application.

Melaye had in an ex parte application cited breach of his fundamental rights by the police.

The application dated and filed on December 31, 2018, was brought pursuant to order 4 rule 3 ‎and 11 of the fundamental rights enforcement rule and section 33 and 35 (1) of the 1999 constitution.

In the motion argued on his behalf by his lawyer, Nkem Okoro, the senator prayed the court to order the police ‎to vacate his premises and to remove all blockade to his entrance so as to allow free entry and exit into and out of the premises.

He also prayed the court for an interim order restraining the respondents from further threatening the life of Dino or throwing his life in jeopardy.

In addition, Melaye asked the court to restrain the police from taking further steps to arrest him or further infringe upon his rights to free movement.

Arguing the motion, Okoro submitted that under section 23 to 30 of the Police Act, the police lacked the powers to block the premises of the applicant.

The motion was supported by a 36-paragraph affidavit attached with seven exhibits and a written address.

However, the judge after listening to the submissions of the plaintiff’s counsel refused to grant the ex parte application.

Instead, she ordered for accelerated hearing of the substantive suit marked FHC/ABJ/ CS/ 1632/2018.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here