The National Industrial Court Monday issued an order restraining the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) from proceeding with the trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Mr. Walter Onnoghen.
Justice Sanusi Kado gave the order following an ex parte application moved by the claimant’s counsel, Mr. James Igwe who said there was difficulty in serving the CCT chairman, Justice Danladi Umar, the court’s papers personally.
The NIC had earlier on January 15 restrained the CCT from proceeding with the trial before adjourning till January 22 for the hearing of motion on notice.
At the hearing, Igwe informed the court that originating processes and interim order had been served on all parties except the CCT chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar and the senate president, Dr. Bukola Saraki.
Igwe said it was the secretary to the CCT chairman who received the document and not the chairman personally.
He however said the senate president was not served as an oversight that should be corrected immediately.
In his ruling, Justice Kado ordered that the processes and interim order be served on Umar through substituted means.
He equally ordered that notice should be placed on the wall of the tribunal’s office.
He held that hearing notices should be served on all parties.
He also gave the order that the interim order made on January 14 restraining the defendants from further proceeding with the trial of the CJN should subsist.
The judge adjourned the matter till January 30 for hearing of motion on notice of the interlocutory injunction in the substantive suit.
It would be recalled that Onnoghen is facing a six-count charge that border on alleged non-declaration of assets.