Atiku calls for review of health workers’ hazard allowance
The total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus disease in Nigeria reached 305 yesterday.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed in a tweet that 17 new cases were recorded as of 9pm yesterday. “17 new cases of #COVID-19 have been reported as follows: eight in Lagos, three in Katsina, two in FCT, one in Niger, one in Kaduna, one in Anambra and one in Ondo.
“As of 09:30 pm on the 10th of April, there are 305 confirmed cases, 58 discharged, seven deaths.
“Currently, Lagos has 163 cases, FCT- 56, Osun – 20, Edo – 12, Oyo – 11, Bauchi – six, Akwa Ibom – five, Ogun – 7, Kaduna – six, Enugu – two, Ekiti – two, Rivers – two, Kwara – two, Delta – two, Benue – one, Ondo – two, Katsina – four, Niger – one, and Anambra – one,” said the agency.
The NCDC further stated that three cases previously recorded for Lagos State have been transferred to Ogun.
“Three cases previously included as Lagos State’s cases have been transferred to Ogun state. The three cases live in satellite towns in Ogun close to Lagos
“Therefore, Lagos has reported 163 confirmed cases while Ogun State has reported seven confirmed cases,” it added.
Also the state governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State announced the recovery and discharge of seven COVID-19 patients, bringing to 46 the number of discharged patients in the state.
Sanwo-Olu, who disclosed this via his verified twitter handle, said the newly discharged patients were three females and four males.
“This brings to 46, the number of patients successfully managed and discharged from our Yaba facility.
“So far, we have had 100 per cent recovery from the #COVID19 cases we have admitted and managed at our isolation facilities,” he said.
Meanwhile, the national coordinator of the presidential task force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, cautioned state governments against relaxing the lockdown order.
Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Ondo are among states that took the decision to relax their restrictions for Christians to commemorate the Easter celebrations.
“We noted that some states had started lifting their bans or relaxing their containment protocols. This is really not the right time to do so, partly because we still have an ongoing pandemic, which is global.
“It is also not the right time to do so, because we could end up having recurrence of infections.
“At this point, I am appealing to our local community leaders, religious and traditional leaders, as well as the state authorities, to continue to support and encourage the public to maintain those protective measures.”
He expressed the need for state governments to work in harmony and align with the federal government to deal with the pandemic.
“I would like to ask state governments, working through the state task force teams or the state ministries of health, to consider setting up accreditation teams that would accredit particularly private facilities, and public facilities.
“This is for the simple reason that it is really important that our front-line health care staff know how to use personal protective equipment and how to protect themselves from this infection.
“We are very keen to expand the availability of intensive care facilities beyond just the public sector,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 2019 presidential election former vice president, Mr. Atiku Abubakar, has called on the federal government to review the “hazard allowance” given to health workers involved in the fight against COVID-19.
Being the first respondents to coronavirus patients, health workers are highly exposed to the infection.
For instance, on April 4, Aliyu Yakubu, a medical doctor aged 60, died at the Nigeria Air Force Reference Hospital, Daura, Katsina State, after contracting the deadly virus.
A week later, his wife and children tested positive for COVID-19.
In a tweet on Friday, Atiku wrote “Having acknowledged that healthcare workers in the frontline of the war against #COVID19 are our true heroes, a review that will enhance their hazard allowance should be given immediate consideration.”
— Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) April 10, 2020
Countries like Hong Kong have offered frontline medical staff working in high-risk areas a bonus of 20 per cent of their daily basic salary or HK$500 (approximately $64) per day, depending on which is higher.
Singapore, too, approved a one-month special bonus for healthcare officers in frontline agencies directly involved in Singapore’s fight against COVID-19.
However, the federal government said it was working to structure medical and life insurance for health workers involved in the war against COVID-19 in Nigeria.