Says almost 100 per cent COVID-19 patients will recover
As Lagos discharges 49 patients, projects continuous rise in cases till June
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) yesterday announced 196 new cases of coronavirus in Nigeria bringing the country total to 1,728.
The agency also announced seven more fatalities bringing the total number to 51.
It further said Yobe State was the latest to record a case bringing the number of states that has reported cases to 34
The NCDC also said Nigeria now has 1,370 active cases recorded as of 11:55 p.m. on April 29, while 307 infected persons had been treated and discharged.
“On the 29th of April 2020, 196 new confirmed cases and five deaths were recorded in Nigeria. One new state (Yobe) has reported a case in the last 24 hours. ”
“Till date, 1728 cases have been confirmed, 307 cases have been discharged and 51 deaths have been recorded in 34 states and the Federal Capital Territory
“The 196 new cases are reported from twelve states- Lagos (87), Kano (24), Gombe (18), Kaduna (17), FCT (16), Katsina (10), Sokoto (8), Edo (7), Borno (6), Ebonyi (1), Yobe (1), Adamawa(1)” Find below the list of states and the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases so far,” said the NCDC.
Meanwhile, the director general of the NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, 95 to 98 per cent of coronavirus patients will recover irrespective of medical intervention, depending on where they are.
The director general who stated this at the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 briefing in Abuja yesterday said “many patients are asymptomatic and will recover.”
However, he said every state of the federation is at a high risk of the pandemic.
“So the idea that moving from one state to another qualifies you to be at higher risk really is no longer the case.
“The measures recommended globally are the same measure we recommend for everyone. Therefore, whatever measures we have to do, we have to do it collectively, whether you are in the north, south, east or west,” he said.
Also yesterday, the Lagos State government announced the discharge of 49 more patients.
It projected that the number of cases in the state will continue to rise until June when it is expected to slow down.
The government also placed four hotels on standby for conversion into isolation centres to absorb the expected surge.
“We know the numbers are rising; however, we have not reached our peak yet. We predict it will happen in the next two months. As the outbreak rises, we will review our strategies and then those with more moderate to mild symptoms will go to public health facilities. We may not get there, but that is the projection. We may even get there faster depending on the dynamics of infection.
“On the expected relaxation, I believe the economy is an integral part of health. You don’t cause a new problem because you want to solve another. Malnutrition will make people more vulnerable to the disease. With low immunity, one is more susceptible to dying from the virus. So the decision on relaxation is a way to balance the economy and health of the people.
“We can’t take research from China or the US and adopt them here because our environment is different. So we are driving the research agenda along with our colleagues to find our own solutions,” said the commissioner for health, Prof. Akin Abayomi.