The newly incorporated Nigeria National Petroleum Company (NNPC) has received the presidential approval to reconstruct the collapsed Lagos- Badagry expressway, as well as 20 other federal roads spread across the six geopolitical zones of the country.
The approval was given on Wednesday at the weekly virtual federal executive council meeting presided over by the vice-president, Prof Yemi Osinbajo at the State House, Abuja.
Briefing newsmen after the meeting, the minister of works and housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, said the selected 21 roads are 1,804.6 kilometre-long 21 federal roads in critical conditions at the sum of N621.2 billion.
He said the reconstruction of the roads is a strategic intervention under the federal government road infrastructure and refreshment tax credit scheme.
The minister further said Executive Order 7 allows the private sector to deploy in advance the taxes they would pay for infrastructure development.
He said nine of the selected projects are in north central, three in north east, two in northwest, two in southeast, three in south-south, and two in southwest.
Below is the full list of the approved roads
1. Dualisation of Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa/ Bokani Junction road Section 1: Illorin-Jebba, Kwara State C/NO. 6468. 110.8km
2. Dualization of Ilorin, Jebba-Mokwa/Bokani junction Road Section II: Jebba-Mokwa-Bokani junction in Kwara and Niger states. C/NO.6469. 46 km
3. Dualization of Suleja-Minna road, Niger state. C/O. 6077. 40km
4. Dualization of Suleja-Minna Road, Niger State PhaseII (Km 40+000-101+000) C/NO.6267. 61km
5. Reconstruction of Bida-Lambata Road, Niger state C/NO.6372. 125km
6. Agaie-Katcha-Baro Road, Niger State 52.3km
7. Emergency repairs of failed section of Mokwa-Makera-Tagina-Kaduna state border in Niger state. 164km
8. Minna-Zungeru minna-Zungeru-Tagina road, Niger state. 90km
9. Bida-Minna road, Niger state. 791.1km
1. Rehabilitation of Cham-Numan section of Gombe-Yola road in Adamawa state. 46.35km
2. Construction of Bali-Serti road in Taraba state. 110km
3. Rehabilitation of Gombe-Biu road in Gombe/Borno state. 117km
1. Rehabilitation of outstanding sections of Gada-Zaima-Zuru-Gamji road Phase II in Kebbi State 62km.
2. Rehabilitation of Zaria-Funtua-Gusau-Sokoto-Birnin Kebbi. 221.5km
1. Dualization of Aba-Ikot Ekpene road in Abia/Akwa Ibom states. 73km
2. Rehabilitation of Umuahia (Ikwuano)-Ikot Ekpene road: Umuahia-Umudike in Abia state. 49km
1. Rehabilitation of Odukpani-Itu-Ikot Ekpene road in Cross River state Section I: Odukpani-Itu Bridge Head in Cross River/Akwa Ibom states. 21.9km
2. Dualization of outstanding portion of Odukpani-Itu-Ikot Ekpene: lot 2. 32km
3. Dualization of Oku-Iboku Power Plant Section of the Odukpani-Itu-Ikot-Ekpene road in Cross River/Akwa Ibom state. 28km
1. Rehabilitation and expansion of Lagos-Badagry Expressway (Agbara Junction-Nigeria/Benin border) in Lagos State. 62km
2. Dualization of Ibadan-Ilorin road (Route A2) Section II in Oyo State (Oyo-Ogbomosho). 52km.