The National Security Adviser (NSA), yesterday, announced the rescue of the last batch of the kidnapped students of the Federal University, Gusau, in Zamfara State.
Ribadu said no ransom was paid for their freedom and that the rescue was through non-kinetic effort.
Ribadu used the occasion to announce that mass abduction will not happen again, saying “we are strengthening law enforcement and security measures to prevent these abductions, and strengthen physical security across vulnerable communities.”
On how the rescue operation was carried out, the commandant of the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Maj. Gen. Adamu Laka, said terrorist had on September 22 2023 attacked and kidnapped 22 people, comprising 15 students and seven workers of the university.
He said they were whisked away from three off-campus hostels at Sabon Gida, one of the university’s hosting communities on the outskirts of Gusau.
He said the terrorists subsequently took the captives to an unknown location on motorbikes and on foot through a town in Tsafe local government area of the state.
“Last year bandits armed with various weapons attacked 3 off-campus students’ hostels at Sabon Gida in Gusau LGA of Zamfara State and kidnapped several persons including female students of the Federal University Gusau alongside some male artisans.
“Others were a private security guard and a protocol officer of the University (both male). The bandits ransacked the hostel, and carted away foodstuff, mobile phones, laptops, ATM cards, cash and other valuables,” Laka said.
He said a search and rescue operation was conducted by a combined team of law enforcement agencies and the abductees were subsequently released in three batches.
He said the first batch of the students was rescued March 15, 2024, while the second batch was freed April 12, 2024 while the last set was released April 14, 2024.
He said all the students were safe and in good conditions of health and would be released to the Zamfara State government through the state’s liaison office in Abuja
“All the abductees were profiled at the National Counter-terrorism Centre (NCTC) while the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) Medical Team examined them and administered minor treatments on the bruises sustained by three of the abductees.
“Four of them were diagnosed with malaria and are being treated. None of the females was molested and all the females tested negative for pregnancy test. Given the foregoing, the NCTC is hereby handing over the 22 abductees to ONSA for further necessary action,” Laka said.