#EndSARS memorial: Police arrest journalists in Lagos, Osun

0
506
*IGP, Mr. Usman Baba

The police in Lagos arrested some journalists and youths during the commemoration of the first anniversary of #EndSARS movement on Wednesday.

Recall that although #EndSARS is a code calling for the end of police brutality in Nigeria by members of the public, Nigerian youths had in October 2020 staged protests throughout the country demanding particularly the disbandment of a notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) unit of the NPF created in late 1992 to deal with crimes associated with robbery, motor vehicle theft, kidnapping, cattle rustling, and firearms.

SARS was controversial for its links to extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances, extortion, torture, framing, blackmail, kidnapping, armed robbery, home invasions, rape, child arrests, the invasion of privacy, and polluting bodies of water with the illegal disposal of human remains.

The unit was disbanded on October 11, 2020 after worldwide protests under the motto “End SARS” occurred while the #EndSARS protests was abruptly and brutally brought to an end on October 20, 2020 when soldiers shot at demonstrators at the Lekki toll plaza and killed unspecified number of them (demonstrators).

It was gathered on Monday that a journalist reporting for an online newspaper, Sahara Reporters, and a correspondent for Legit TV, Abisola Alawode, as well as some protesters were arrested by the police operatives, led by the Lagos State commissioner of police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu.

In Osun State, it was gathered that a journalist with Daily Post in the state, Mr. Sikiru Obarayese was arrested at Freedom Park area.

It was gathered that the journalist was taken to Dugbe Police station despite identifying himself properly.

The police, it was further learnt, invaded the area with about eight vehicles and an amoured vehicle personnel career to disrupt the peaceful protest.

Speaking to journalists, Odumosu confirmed that only two journalists were apprehended because they could not identify themselves.

The commissioner also disclosed that 10 machete-carrying miscreants were arrested.

He alleged that they might have belonged to the group that looted Shoprite during the last protest in 2020.

“We arrested 10 persons with machetes; are they protesters? And that’s exactly what happened last year. Are the protesters out to kill policemen? The protesters may be those that went to loot Shoprite and set several places ablaze.

“Lagos is the economic hub of the country and today is a working day and we all know the volume of traffic on this axis. We will not allow them break the law and cause disorderliness,” Odumosu stated.

The commissioner further stated that the command had earlier issued statement banning any form of protest in public places.

He said the ban on protest was to forestall destruction of lives and properties as witnessed in 2020 across the state.

He, however, said he will not allow hoodlums and miscreants to hijack peaceful protest by making it violent.

“I held meetings with them yesterday and we agreed there will be no protest that will disturb lawful business of the day because Lagos State is the hub of economy in Nigeria.

“They should allow business to go on accordingly and no one should stop the movement of vehicles,” he said.

Furthermore, he said was ready to provide security for indoor protest that will not lead to breakdown of law and order.

“Yesterday (Tuesday), when they were at Adeniyi Jones, I provided security. They were there and they had their seminars and when they said they were going to do protest today, I said no problem because I can’t stop you from moving with your vehicles, banners, singing peacefully but not aggressively,” the CP added.

Speaking on #EndSARS memorial, the president of the 8th senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, described as “worrying” that nothing had been done one year after the government accepted the five demands of the #EndSARS movement.

Saraki said in a statement on Wednesday to commemorate the first anniversary of the movement that he had struggled to come to terms with the events of October 20, 2020.

He also lamented that none of the perpetrators of the attack on innocents Nigerians at the toll gate last year and looters of public and private properties during the protests had been apprehended and punished.

“On the first anniversary of October 20th, 2020, like many Nigerians, I have struggled with coming to terms with the sobering events of that day.

“My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost their lives, loved ones, sustained injuries, or sustained other losses at the Lekki Toll Gate and at various locations in Lagos and around the country when security agencies were deployed to clamp down on the protests and non-state actors took advantage to cause chaos and mayhem.

“It is worrying that despite the acceptance of the “5 for 5 Demands,” nothing has really been done to resolve the issues that caused the protests in the first place.

“None of the policemen accused of torturing and extra-judicially murdering Nigerian citizens have been brought to justice, there has been no marked improvement in the funding or quality of equipment available to the Nigerian Police Force & these incidents of torture continue in many security facilities nationwide.

“Furthermore, none of the perpetrators of the attacks on Nigerians exercising their rights to peaceful assembly have been arrested or prosecuted, despite many of them being identified. Similarly, none of the perpetrators of mindless acts of destruction and looting of property worth billions of Naira have been arrested or brought to justice,” Saraki said.

“It appears that the lessons that ought to be learned from the events last year have been lost. This is why rather than mobilise to safeguard and protect citizens the Nigerian Police have resorted to threats and mobilisation to prevent further expressions of dissatisfaction with the status quo. It is my sincere hope that common sense will prevail and the young people who seek to hold events to mark the first anniversary of the events at the Lekki Toll Gate will be allowed to peacefully gather and be protected from any forms of violence.

“The carnage that followed the attacks on protesters by security agencies and non-state actors must stand as a lesson to governments at all levels that they must learn to engage with the Nigerian populace in a manner that preserves and respects their constitutional rights and freedoms or face the risk of creating an atmosphere that enables a breakdown of law and order.

“Today represents an opportunity for the government to begin the police and justice sector reforms our country so badly needs. It is an opportunity I appeal to the government to take.

“This is the only way we can honour the memory of those who gave their lives for this cause,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here