Flood kills 603, displaces 1.3m persons nationwide – FG

0
353
*Farouq

The federal government has said that the flood ravaging parts of the country have so far claimed 603 lives, displaced 1,302,589 while 2,407 persons sustained injuries.

On the whole, it said 2, 504, 095 persons have been affected so far

The minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Sadiya Farouq, reeled out the figures at a press conference in Abuja on Sunday (yesterday).

“As of today (yesterday), the number of persons affected nationwide is 2,504,095. The number of those displaced nationwide is 1,302,589; the number of injuries is 2,407, and the number of deaths is 603.

“The number of houses that are partially damaged is 121,318; the number of houses that are damaged is 82,053; farmlands that are partially damaged, are 108,392 hectares, while damaged farmlands are 332,327 hectares. This is the statistics of today, October 16, 2022.”

She said the government was concerned that despite all our efforts of averting the consequence of the 2022 flooding season, the country had unfortunately recorded the loss of over 600 lives.

On the discharge of water from Lagdo Dam in Cameroon, the minister said: “We must initiate a bilateral discussion with authorities in Cameroon in November 2022 on the periodic opening of the Lagdo Dam. The delegation to Cameroon is to be led by the Permanent Secretary and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be requested to facilitate it.

However, Farouq said there was enough warning and information about the 2022 flood, stressing that states, local governments and communities appeared not to take heed.

She also noted that the federal ministry of water resources was working earnestly towards the construction of about two dams, adding that the building of these dams is quite expensive and takes a longer period of time, hence can’t be completed within a short period.

Farouq, who affirmed that several memos had been sent to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for approval, also assured of the government’s efforts toward provision of settlement areas for victims of the flood who were displaced across the country.

“The federal ministry of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development is concerned that despite all our efforts of averting the consequence of the 2022 flooding season, unfortunately we have recorded the loss of over 500 lives, partial or total damage of more than 90,000 houses, damage of more than 140,000 hectares of farmland. So many roads and other critical infrastructures were also affected.

“On Tuesday, February 15, 2022, the Nigerian Metrological Agency released the 2022 Seasonal Climate Prediction informing us that the rains of 2022 will be heavier and longer. Furthermore, on Thursday, May 12, 2022, the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency released the Annual Flood Outlook.

“Immediately after these two releases, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was all out, armed with the scientific releases from the two agencies in the media and went to all states and FCT, warning of expected floods and advising on mitigating and preparedness actions they need to take to minimise losses and damages.

“I also briefed the National Economic Council on September 22, 2022, where I outlined preparedness strategies that all state governments should take to mitigate the 2022 floods. “I have laid this background so that you will appreciate the concern of this ministry that despite all these efforts, we still appear to have become overwhelmed by the flood when it came.

“However, in response to the 2022 flood situation, I directed the permanent secretary to convene an emergency technical stakeholder meeting of all responsive agencies to strategies immediate response to the situation. That meeting held on October 11, 2022 and they all have formulated plans and strategies for response.

“Amongst other things, the meeting had resolved that: although flood has become an annual disaster with devastating consequence and the effect of climate change makes it difficult to prevent in Nigeria, it can be mitigated and managed.

“There was enough warning and information about the 2022 flood but states, local government areas and communities appear not to take heed; thus the meeting agreed to form a high powered delegation to state governors to advocate for more commitment to strengthen state response mechanisms as stipulated in the National Flood Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan.

“Stakeholders will work within their respective mandates to prevent deaths due to flood or other health related diseases that are the aftermath.

“For a coordinated flood response protocol, the meeting agreed to implement the National Flood Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan; accordingly, the sectoral approach to flood management at the national and sub-national levels must be absolutely implemented.

“It was further emphasised that there was the need for state governments to invest in flood management and lead on community base flood early warning systems; hence the meeting called on state governments to take greater responsibilities for flood preparedness and response.

“It was agreed that it has become necessary to compel all state governments to strengthen their State Emergency Management Agencies (SEMAs) and Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs) through a legal instrument so that they can have improved access to fund and personnel for effective disaster preparedness and response.

“While we mourn the unfortunate boat mishap in Anambra State and other locations, we must note that we are not completely out of the woods, because the metrological agencies are warning that states like Anambra, Delta, Cross River, Rivers and Bayelsa are still at the risk of experiencing floods up till end of November.

“So, we are calling on the respective state governments, local government areas and communities to prepare by evacuating people living on flood plains to high grounds, providing tents and relief materials, fresh water as well as medical supply for possible outbreak of water-borne diseases,” the minister said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here