As Lagos bans religious gatherings of more than 50 people
Finally, the federal government has yielded to pressure by restricting entry into the country for travellers from 13 high-risk COVID-19 countries.
The restriction which takes effect from March 20 applies to travellers from countries with more than 1,000 cases.
They include China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany, the United States, Norway, UK, Netherlands and Switzerland.
A statement issued on Wednesday by the 12-man Presidential Task Force on COVID19 chaired by the secretary to the government of the federation, Mr. Boss Mustapha said:
“The federal government of Nigeria is restricting entry into the country for travellers from the following thirteen (13) countries; China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany, Norway, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Netherlands and Switzerland. These are all countries with over 1,000 cases domestically;
“All persons arriving in Nigeria, who might have visited these countries, fifteen days prior to such arrival, will be subjected to supervised self-isolation and testing for 14 days;
“The Federal Government is temporarily suspending the issuance of all visas on arrival;
“The federal government is also counselling all Nigerians to cancel or postpone all non-essential travels to these countries.
“The federal government urges public health authorities of countries with high burden to conduct diligent departure screening of passengers and also endorse these travel advisories to their nationals to postpone travels to Nigeria.
“These restrictions will come into effect from Saturday, 21st March, 2020 for four weeks subject to review.”
Meanwhile, the Lagos State government on Wednesday suspended all religious gatherings above 50 persons in the state for the next four weeks with immediate effect.
According to NAN, the commissioner for home affairs, Mr. Olanrewaju Elegushi, announced this to newsmen in Ikeja after a closed-door meeting with religious leaders in the state on the issue of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
Elegushi said the decision was taken in the interest of Lagosians and necessary toward curbing the spread of the ravaging coronavirus.
“We met with religious leaders both Christians and Muslims. We discussed, argued and realised that the lives of Lagosians is important to us. We prefer to offend people than to kill our people.
“Let me assure you that the state government is not insensitive to the Lenten period and various religious activities going on. We are concerned because it is only the living that can worship God.
“Having discussed extensively, the heads of religious bodies agreed government should embark on massive education of the virus at the grassroots level.
“Health workers should up their games, while more should be recruited and hospitals should be compelled to attend to people without prejudice.
“In view of this, we have decided to suspend all religious activities above 50 people and the enforcement starts with immediate effect,” the commissioner said.
He said a committee had been set up involving top religious leaders to ensure compliance with the directive.
Speaking after the announcement, the chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Lagos State, Apostle Alexander Bamgbala, said the association was glad about the development.
”We are going to follow the directive of the government. We are at a critical moment in our nation and God has been hearing our prayers concerning Coronavirus.
“In view of the increased in the number of infected cases, we must be proactive. It is not about religion but survival. We need to listen to the government and be proactive so that God will continue to answer us,” he said.