A counter-insurgency expert and security analyst based in the Lake Chad region, Mr Zagazola Makama said no fewer than 41 terrorists including commanders lost their lives when the Jamā’at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-Da’wah wa’l-Jihād, Boko Haram and the Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP) clashed in Borno State.
Makama disclosed this Thursday after a fight between the insurgents on Wednesday in the north east of Borno State.
The Guardian quoted Makama as saying that the ISWAP terrorists came on several canoes and attacked the Bakoura Buduma-led faction of Boko Haram on the axis of Duguri in Kukawa local government area of the state.
According to Makama, impeccable sources aware of the clash said the bloody battle left 41 fighters killed on both sides including Commanders of the group.
He added that the ISWAP group dealt a heavy blow on the Boko Haram terrorists, leaving many of their commanders dead.
Makama said the source listed some of the commanders who lost their lives during the bloody clash to include Modu Kayi, Abbah Musa, Isa Muhammed, Ibrahim Ali, Kanai Zakariya and Bula Salam.
Also included are Isuhu Alhaji Umaru, Dogo Salman and Abdulrahman Malam Musa among others.
Makama further said that ISWAP insurgents were having an upper hand following the defection of a former Boko Haram chief of operation, Abou Idris, who joined ISWAP to fight his former group.
Makama also disclosed that the Boko Haram terrorists granted freedom to no fewer than 48 women abducted in Maiwa and Shuwarin Villages in the Mafa local government area of the state.
Makama while confirming their freedom on Twitter said the women were kidnapped in their farmlands on Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
According to Makama, the terrorists took the captives to an unknown destination and later demanded ransom from their family members.
“On Wednesday, August 23, the women were released after paying N50, 000 each as ransom to the terrorists,” he said.
Makama also said eight of the abductees had earlier been released after paying N20, 000 each.