CAN, Obi, Fayemi, others condemn Ondo church massacre

0
489
*Governor of Ondo State, Mr. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu (3rd from left), others at the scene of the attack. Photo credit: Punch

Angry reactions have trailed yesterday’s terrorist attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State which resulted in the death of many worshippers.  

Recall that many worshippers were killed and injured after gunmen attacked the church on Sunday immediately after the end of the morning mass.

While the actual figures of casualties are yet to be computed, majority leader of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Mr. Oluwole Ogunmolasuyi, said the attack affected about 100 persons.

The legislator who represents Owo 1 state constituency told Premium Times he visited the church and hospital to see the victims.

“We should be looking at a casualty figure of between 70 and 100. I saw more than 20 people dead, especially children.”

“It’s a very sad incident. Of course, it had already happened before I got there. I saw thousands of angry youths. It was barbaric, never experienced in the history of Ondo State,” he said.

The newspaper also quoted an unnamed official of the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, that 23 bodies had been admitted to the morgue of the hospital, two of which are children.

He also said the 28 survivors, were still receiving medical attention, noting that they sustained very serious injuries.

“Of the number, 17 are females while 11 are males. They are relatively stable and are being attended to by general and orthopaedic surgeons at the hospital’s theatre,” the official said.

Reacting to vile act, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said “there is no explanation for this unprovoked attack and assault on a place of worship.”

The Christian body said this a statement entitled, ‘Owo carnage: No explanation for the carnage’ and signed by Pastor Adebayo Oladeji, media aide to the CAN President, Rev Samson Ayokunle.

The statement reads: “This is sad, wrong, condemnable, outrageous, unacceptable and satanic. There is no explanation for this unprovoked attack and assault on a place of worship. This is raw persecution. These people are possessed, demonic and are not working for the good of the country. May God descend heavily on them and fight them mindless agents of Satan from their roots in Jesus’ name.

“We are once again reiterating our quest for a total overhauling of the security architecture and are asking President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the recycling of those criminals and terrorists in the name of de-radicalising programme. If the programme is not counterproductive, how come the criminalities are always on the increase and nowhere is safe again.

“This menace of insecurity has gotten out of hand and is embarrassingly sore. Criminals are operating with impunity all over the country and unfortunately, our government appears to be so busy with the 2023 general election that it has no time for the unending killings in the country.

“What legacy is the government and those who are the managers of our security architecture leaving behind for the unborn generation? We are praying for the government and the security agencies to get it right before it will be too late.

“If the Federal government is not interested in the State Police, what efforts are being put in place to arrest this unpleasant situation? We call on the State Governors to meet with the President to find a lasting solution to these killings. Issuing mere press statements of condemnation and what looks like an empty threat is apparently not a way out of it.

“CAN commiserates with all the bereaved, the Olowo of Owo, Oba Gbadegesin Ogunoye, the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria and the Ondo State Government.”

Former Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi took to his twitter handle to condemn the invasion of the church. “We really should not sit back and look. We shouldn’t allow a senseless few/bunch set this country ablaze. There is no other place we can call home. This is my home! My land! A place I have been for more than two decades of my existence. If it requires we all enter this Forest, if I have an escape route, maybe chickening out will have been perfect. But then I ask myself, for how long will I chicken out.

“The governor of Ondo as well as other governor shouldn’t sleep today, neither should they tomorrow. The doom day is here. It is either we fight or doe trying. I am tired. Killings has just become a norm. I broke down watching the Ondo church attack. All my mind whispers is; it could have been me. Imagine, we must rise above the din. Enough is enough! I really can’t help this.”

Calling upon activists, he demanded a national protest be staged. He “Can there be a national protest tomorrow against these senseless killings in the country? Everybody should match out to the government house and demand the people we elected to act fast. The way forward shouldn’t just be tweets and Twitter trends alone. The battle is here already and the moment we realise the better,” he added.

For his part, the governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, condemned the attack describing it as “vile, barbaric and callous.”.

The governor who spoke through his media aide, Mr. Yinka Oyebode, said: “There can never be any justification for the heinous behaviour of the assailants.

“The perpetrators of this dastardly act should not go unpunished. We call on relevant security agencies in the state to spring into action and ensure that they are brought to book,” he said

He therefore directed the state commissioner for health, Dr. Banji Filani, to immediately send human and medical resources to Ondo State.

“Our condolences to the government and good people of Ondo State as well as families that lost their loved ones in the carnage,” he added.

The Aare Onakakanfo of Yoruba land, Mr. Gani Adams, also joined in the condemnation describing the attack as “ungodly” adding that it poses a threat, said the foundation and existence of the country.

He described the perpetrators of the gory attack as evil, saying they should be ready to face the wrath of God.

Expressing concern about the spate of insecurity across the country, the Yoruba generalissimo insisted that the Federal Government had failed in its efforts to secure the country, wondering why it has become a crime to go the church to worship.

“Cases of Boko Haram and bandits and other criminal elements always attacking churches and mosques have simply shown the failures of the government. It has also exposed the crass incompetence of Nigeria’s leaders and the security apparatus”,

“Reports at my disposal showed clearly that the attackers actually disguised as worshippers of the church, planted an explosive device within the church premises and carried out their evil attack on innocent worshippers.

“They later kidnapped the Reverend Father, leaving worshippers cold dead in the pool of their blood.

“The criminals, according to reports, did not come with vehicles, they hijacked vehicles on the road to convey their victims”

“Meanwhile, the owner of the hijacked vehicle had gone to Owo A. Division to report the incident, even as all the roads in the ancient town had reportedly been deserted as people had stayed off the roads.

“The Federal Government must rise to its responsibility, begin a thorough investigation into the attack and also bring the perpetrators of this gory incident to book. Investigation into the Owo Catholic bomb attack should not be swept under the carpet. Those that carried out the attack are not ghosts, they must be apprehended immediately,” Adams said in a statement issued by his spokesman, Mr. Kehinde Aderemi

While condoling with the Ondo state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, and the Olowo of Owo, Oba Gbadegesin Ajibade Ogunoye, Adams, however, urged the governor of the state, Mr. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu not to relent in his efforts to secure the state.

“The video clips and pictures of the deadly attack on worshippers could best be imagined. Such an attack would definitely not happen in a saner clime where there is effective security. It would not happen in a country where the lives of the citizens are precious to the government,” he added.

Also condemning the attack, a support group for the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Atiku Abubakar, called on the President Muhammadu Buhari to end killings in Nigeria.

The group, under the aegis of Atiku Support Organisation made the call in a statement on Sunday signed its national publicity secretary, Mr. Victor Moses.

“The continued unwarranted killings of Nigerians under the failed regime of President Buhari-led APC government is unacceptable. The reported killings of innocent worshippers in Ondo state is a very sad development and our hearts and prayers are with the family of the deceased.

“But for how long shall we continue in this manner? We wish to remind President Buhari that he derives his legitimacy from the people and that the inefficiency of his government is driving Nigeria and Nigerians to the edge.”

“As a retired military general, the least Nigerians should enjoy under his government is security, but the reverse is the case.

“Under ‘General’ Buhari-led APC government, Nigeria has very, unfortunately, become a kidnapper den and a paradise for terrorists and killers.

“For the first time in our history as a nation, insecurity has become the next cash cow as in the oil industry. Terrorists now kill for fun,” the statement reads in part.

It called on “President Muhammadu Buhari to stand up to the challenges his failed government created and made worse and put a stop forthwith to the plethora of killings going on in the country or take a bow.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here