COVID-19 cases rise to 81 as Oyo identifies 84 persons of interest

0
722

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced late yesterday 11 new cases of the coronavirus disease bringing the tally to 81.

“All new cases have mild to moderate symptoms and are currently receiving care,” said NCDC adding that Enugu State presented cases for the first time

It also stated that the new cases were reported in three states, Lagos, Enugu and Edo states.

It disclosed that eight of the new cases were reported in Lagos, two in Enugu and one in Edo State.

“As at 11:55 pm 27th March, there are 81 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Three (3) have been discharged with 1 death,” it said.

A breakdown of cases as reported by states shows that Lagos remains the epicentre for Covid-19 in the country with 52 cases, FCT – 14, Ogun and Oyo States, three each; Bauchi, Edo and Enugu, two each, while  Ekiti, Osun, and Rivers States have one case each.

Meanwhile, the governor of Oyo State, Mr. Seyi Makinde said revealed that 84 persons of likely cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) had been identified while contact tracing and collection of samples had commenced.

He made the announcement following a revelation by the minister of information and culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed had said that the government was on the trail of 4, 730 persons of interest.

Makinde who declared a dusk to dawn curfew (7 pm to 6 am) and limited gathering to not more than 10 persons said: “The COVID-19 confirmation tests for two suspected cases have come back positive. The isolation process has been initiated. 84 Persons of Interest have been identified, and contact tracing and collection of samples have commenced.

“The state’s diagnostic centre set up in collaboration with the University College Hospital is now ready. The @NCDCgov certification is still pending but the Director-General of NCDC has made a pre-statement about the molecular laboratory in Oyo State.

“The index case remains stable and is still under observation in the isolation unit at Agbami Chest Centre, Jericho. The number of confirmed cases in Oyo State is now three.

“As a result of this, I have directed that the following additional measures be put in place: dusk to dawn curfew (7 PM to 6 AM); no gatherings of more than ten people should be held anywhere in Oyo State.

“From Sunday night, March 29, 2020, all markets will be closed except those selling perishable food items.

“Also, inter-state transportation into and out of the state will be suspended except vehicles carrying food items, medical, pharmaceutical and petroleum products. This takes effect from Sunday night, March 29, 2020. All measures will be reviewed on a weekly basis.

“As part of our COVID-19 sensitization programme, over 30,000 handbills in English, Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa have been produced for distribution.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here