CSP refuses to take orders from Governor Sanwo-Olu

0
534
*Attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, inspector general of police, Mr. Usman Baba

A yet-to-be-identified chief superintendent of police publicly told the governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babjide Sanwo-Olu that he would not order his men to vacate the Magodo Phase 2 Estate.

Recall that policemen recently accompanied suspected land grabbers and members of a family who planned to demolish property in the estate to execute a Supreme Court judgment.

Amid a protest by residents, Sanwo-Olu yesterday led members of his cabinet to visit residents protesting against the continuous presence of armed policemen in the estate.

He engaged the CSP who led the police team on the operation from Abuja and asked them to vacate the estate.

“It is a case between the supposed people and Lagos State Government; it has nothing to do with the residents.

“Please, can you call your superior in Abuja and tell them that the governor is here and as the chief security officer, you don’t have any business to be in my state right now and I want you to disengage,” the governor said.

However, the police officer affirmed that his team would only leave the premises on the directive of the attorney-general of the federation and minister of justice and inspector general of police who had deployed them on the assignment.

He therefore told the governor to call his superiors directly.

“Thank you very much, sir. Your Excellency sir, I’m not here on my own order.

“I am here on the instruction of the Inspector General of Police through the AGF.

“I am too small or too low to call them. Your Excellency sir, with due respect sir, you can call them directly sir so that they can tell us to come,” the CSP responded.

Thereafter, Sanwo-Olu asked the CSP to give an account of the number of policemen at the estate.

“I have several of them, sir. I cannot precisely tell you how many we are.

“I know the number of my men here Sir; we sought for some other people to join us. But for security purpose, I cannot say this is the figure, Sir,” the CSP replied.

Not satisfied with the response and action of the police officer, the governor declared the presence of the security team it the estate as illegal.

He also questioned the motive behind the operation, stressing that the issue only involved the state government and had nothing to do with the residents in the first place.

“It is a very illegal operation. They (policemen) are not from the Lagos State Police Command. They said they are from Abuja, and I don’t know what other interests they have beyond keeping the peace of the country.

“This is not an expectation that I would expect for them because they don’t have any business here at all. The case is between the state government, and I am the governor standing in front of you, not with my residents,” Sanwo-Olu declared.

Addressing journalists and aggrieved residents later, Sanwo-Olu, who appealed for calm, said a meeting had been scheduled for Wednesday (today) with the judgment creditors, adding that representatives of the association and the police would also be involved.

“When the first attempt happened about two weeks ago, I intervened and if you remember very well, the action was immediate and there were no incidents again and throughout the festive period, we had started communication.

“One of the things to first understand is that the residents, the people that have gone to court and the police are my subjects. I have the responsibility to ensure that fairness and equity is entrenched.

“The people that have come said they have Supreme Court judgment, rightly so. The residents living here have proper titles and means to live here; and of course the Nigeria Police.

“In the car, I spoke extensively with the IGP and with the honourable attorney general and we have resolved all the issues. What we will see is that there will be a total stand down and tomorrow, around 11am, we will be inviting representatives of the judgment creditors,” he said.

The governor said a committee had been set up to invite all parties concerned to his office, adding that the state government would resolve the matter.

He urged residents to go about their lawful business, assuring that nobody would be harassed or their property touched.

“All of you have been wonderful, so, let us continue to maintain the peace that we have in Magodo and I can assure you that none of your houses will be marked again and the ones that have been marked, we will try and see how we will sort it out because war doesn’t take anybody anywhere; it is on the table that we will all resolve it.

“I want to appeal to all of you to stand down and go back to your houses as nothing will happen to anyone. I am here to ensure that Magodo continues to remain in peace and safe for our residents. Whatever property that has been locked would be opened as everything would be resolved,” he added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here