Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the federal high court sitting in Abuja has ordered the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to unfreeze 20 bank accounts linked with some promoters of the #EndSARS protest that took place across the country last year.
In his ruling on Wednesday, the judge set aside the order he made on November 4, 2020.
The judge also struck out the suit instituted by the CBN governor Mr. Godwin Emefiele in respect of which the ex-parte order freezing the accounts for 180 days was made on November 4, 2020.
The court’s decision was informed by the withdrawal of all processes filed in relation to the suit by lawyers to all the parties.
The former attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa, who appeared for the CBN governor and Mr. Femi Falana, who appeared for those affected by the freezing order, told the court, at the commencement of proceedings that they had resolved to withdraw all the processes filed in the spirit of the ongoing reconciliation at the various panels of enquiry on police brutality across the country.
“This matter involves young people. I talked to my colleagues and I advised, let us discard all the processes. I will withdraw my processes and they will withdraw theirs.
“By implication, the order goes, the accounts will be unfrozen, and nobody will be indicted.
“The government has set up reconciliation panels. We should give room for a rethink on this matter.
“We have the instruction from my client, the governor of CBN, that in the spirit of reconciliation, we should not apply for the extension of the order.
“So we are withdrawing our ex parte motion. We should allow reconciliation and peace to reign.”
Falana, for his part, confirmed that he had discussed with Aondoakaa “on the way forward in this matter.”
He, however, insisted that “the order ex parte made by this court expired last week.”
He said he had filed “a motion to have the order quashed” but “has been overtaken by event, since the order has expired.”
After hearing the two lawyers, the judge set aside the order and struck out the suit.
Aondoakaa promised to ensure that that “the accounts are unfrozen” as soon as the court’s written order is issued.
The #EndSARS protesters and promoters targeted in the case by the CBN included Bolatito Oduala, Chima Ibebunjoh, Mary Kpengwa, Gatefield Nigeria Limited, Saadat Bibi, Bassey Israel, Wisdom Obi, Nicholas Osazele, Ebere Idibie, Akintomide Yusuf, Uhuo Promise, Mosopefoluwa Odeseye and Adegoke Emmanuel.
The rest are, Umoh Ekanem, Babatunde Segun, Mulu Teghenan, Mary Oshifowora, Winifred Jacob, Victor Solomon, and Idunu Williams.
With Daily Times, Premium Times reports