#EndSARS protests turn fatal in Lagos

0
694

The #EndSARS protests going on in different cities across Nigeria turned fatal and bloody as a police inspector, Erin Ayodeji, attached to Surulere Anti-kidnapping Unit, and an unidentified passer-by were killed in Lagos on Monday.

Spokesman for the police command, Mr. Olumuyiwa Adejobi, who disclosed this told NAN that two other inspectors were critically wounded during the violent attack on their unit.

He alleged that the unidentified passer-by died from a stray bullet from the protesters, while two other police officers, Ekei Joshua and Peter Agabi were receiving treatment at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.

“The protesters came in their numbers with the intent to break into the station at our Surulere unit and free some of the convicted criminals.

“They were heavily armed with shotguns and fired shots at the officers on duty who were trying to prevent the incidence and uphold the integrity of the station,” he said.

Adejobi said no arrest had been made yet but that investigation was ongoing and the perpetrators would be brought to book.

He reiterated the resolve of the Lagos State commissioner of police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu, to continue to maintain law and order in the state in spite of the unrest created by various protesting groups.

“Odumosu has called on all police officers to exhibit professionalism and continue to maintain law and order in spite of the ongoing public agitation towards the police.

“The protest has been hijacked by criminals who have taken advantage of the situation to breach the peace in the society.

“The Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, just disbanded the SARS on Sunday, so the attack on the station was uncalled for,” Adejobi said.

The police spokesman urged parents and wards to monitor and keep a close eye on their children because anyone caught exhibiting negative behaviour would face the full extent of the law.

Meanwhile, different protesting groups formed in their respective localities thereby giving wings to a broader scale of protest.

In Oyingbo area, the protesters gathered in front of Tantalizers Fastfood while in Ojo, the protest began at the Lagos State University (LASU).

In Surulere, the protesters came out in large numbers and also at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) gate from where they kicked off the protest.

Other areas include Ebute Metta, Oshodi, Epe/Ita-Opo, Mushin, Ketu, Ikosi, Magodo, Shangisha and also Ogba.

Giving the acronym #EndSARS a new meaning, the protesters said while E stands for end police extortion, N stands for No more citizens killing, D represents Don’t ruin our future, S stands for Stop intimidating youths, A represents Arrest corrupt officers, R for Refine the police and S for SARS must end.

In Abuja, the demonstrators went to the headquarters of the Nigerian Police Force as well as the embassies of the United States (US), United Kingdom (UK), and the European Union (EU) to press home the fresh demand.

A civil society organisation participating in the police reform protest, Concerned Nigerians, filed separate petitions, calling for a visa ban on the Oyo State police commissioner, Mr. Nwachukwu Enwonwu and the members of his family.

Reading a copy of the petition before journalists during the protest, convener of the civil society group, Mr. Deji Adeyanju, said: “We appeal to the United States of America and other development partners of Nigeria to place a visa restriction on the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Nwachukwu Enwonwu and members of his family over his handling of the ongoing EndSARS protest which has led to extrajudicial killings and several human rights violations in the state.

“Despite the pronouncement of the ban yesterday on the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), rights violations have continued in the country especially in Oyo state and another citizen was killed there.

“Freedom of assembly which is one of the pillars of democracy is now almost a crime in Nigeria. If this request is granted, it will serve as a deterrent to others who continue to toe the line of violating citizen’s rights.”

In Oyo State, the state governor, Mr. Seyi Makinde urged the protesters Oyo Governor Seyi Makinde has ordered police operatives to stop attacking the #ENDSARS protesters.

In a statewide broadcast on the Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State (BCOS), Makinde said all the protesters must be protected and no further loss of life should be recorded in the state.

“The past few days have been ones of grief for the people of Oyo State. I cannot imagine the pain and frustration of the parents and families of those who have died or are hospitalised as a result of the actions of the Nigeria Police Force during these #EndSARS protests.

“As I stated clearly in my earlier statement, peaceful protests are a legitimate way for citizens to make their grievances known to the government and it is totally unacceptable for anyone to be hurt during such protests.

“Last night, I held an emergency meeting with the heads of the main security agencies in Oyo State. I have again restated my position on the ongoing protests to them. And we have agreed that the police should take a back seat as other security agencies take the frontlines in securing the lives of protesters, at this time.

“Therefore, we have deployed members of Operation Burst to the hot spots, especially Ogbomoso, to ensure that as people protest, they will not be harassed or brutalised.

“I want to reassure the good people of Oyo State, that I am doing everything within my power, to ensure that no further lives are lost. I urge all residents of Oyo State to go about their activities without fear,” he said.

With The Nation, Vanguard reports

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here