FG announces N35000 salary allowance for civil servants, N25000 each for 15m households

0
338
*Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has approved a N35, 000 provisional wage award for all treasury-paid federal government workers for six months.

The allowance was increased from the proposed monthly allowance for federal from N25,000 to N35,000 which the president had earlier announced in his nationwide Independence Day broadcast.

“Based on our talks with labour, business and other stakeholders, we are introducing a provisional wage increment to enhance the federal minimum wage without causing undue inflation. For the next six months, the average low-grade worker shall receive an additional twenty-five thousand naira per month,” the president had said.

The increase was announced by the minister of information and national orientation Mr Mohammed Idris in a statement after a tripartite meeting of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the federal government held yesterday in Abuja.

The minister further said the federal government would commence payment of N75,000 to 15 million households at N25,000 per month, for a three-month period from October-December 2023.

Below is the full statement

President Bola Tinubu has approved N35,000 provisional wage award for all treasury-paid federal government workers for six months, following further consultations with the Federal Government delegation that met with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) earlier on Sunday.

“It will be recalled that at the meeting between both parties, the federal government pledged its commitment to fast-track the provision of compressed natural gas (CNG) buses to ease public transportation difficulties associated with the removal of PMS subsidy.

“The federal government also committed to the provision of funds for micro and small-scale enterprises as well as waivers on VAT on diesel for the next 6 months.

“Furthermore, the federal government announced that it will commence payment of N75,000 to 15 million households at N25,000 per month, for a three-month period from October-December 2023.

Highlights:

“In light of the discussions held during the meeting between the Federal Government and Labour representatives, the following were the major highlights:

i) The Federal Government urged the Labour unions not to embark on strike action as the issues in dispute can only be resolved when workers are at work.

ii) Labour Unions made case for higher wage award.

iii) A sub-committee to be constituted to work out the details of implementation of all items regarding government interventions to cushion the effect of fuel subsidy removal.

iv) The lingering matter of Road Transport Employees Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in Lagos State needs to be addressed urgently.

v.) NLC and TUC will consider the offers by the federal government with a view to suspending the planned strike to allow for further consultations on the implementation of the resolutions above.

“Governor Abdulrazak Abdulrahman of Kwara State and Chairman of the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) and Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State, participated virtually in the meeting, chaired by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila.

 “Also in attendance were the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon Lalong, the Minister of State, Labour, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Doris Uzoka-Anite, the Head of Service of the Federation, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan and the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

“The labour delegation was led by NLC President, Joe Ajaero, Dr Tommy Etim Okon, Deputy President, TUC, NLC General Secretary, Emma Ugboaja, TUC General Secretary, Nuhu Toro, among others.’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here