Hard time for FCT, Lagos, and Ogun residents as FG extends lockdown by 14 days

0
632
*Buhari

Residents of the Federal Capital Territory, Lagos and Ogun states are in for hard times as the federal government on Monday extended the lockdown occasioned by the contagious coronavirus disease by another 14 days.

Initial 14-day lockdown in the three areas which began on March 30 ended today.

President Muhammadu Buhari in a nationwide broadcast to the nation today said the level of compliance with the COVID-19 guidelines issued had been generally good stressing that the government’s resolve “still remains to contain the spread of the coronavirus and to provide space, time and resources for an aggressive and collective action.”

However, he said he was concerned about the increase in the number of confirmed cases and deaths reported across the world and in Nigeria specifically, hence the need to extend the lockdown.

“Here in Nigeria, we had 131 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 12 States on 30th March 2020. We had two fatalities then.

“This morning, Nigeria had 323 confirmed cases in twenty States. Unfortunately we now have ten fatalities. Lagos State remains the centre and accounts for 54 per cent of the confirmed cases in Nigeria.

“When combined with the FCT, the two locations represent over 71 per cent of the confirmed cases in Nigeria.

“With this in mind and having carefully considered the briefings and report from the Presidential Task Force and the various options offered, it has become necessary to extend the current restriction of movement in Lagos and Ogun states as well as the FCT for another 14 days effective from 11:59 pm on Monday, 13th of April, 2020.

“I am therefore once again asking you all to work with Government in this fight,” he said.

The president recalled the steps taken by some other countries of the world to combat the spread of the deadly virus saying Nigeria should not be an exception.

“This is not a joke. It is a matter of life and death. Mosques in Makkah and Madina have been closed. The Pope celebrated Mass on an empty St. Peter’s Square. The famous Notre Dame cathedral in Paris held Easter Mass with less than 10 people.

“India, Italy and France are in complete lockdown. Other countries are in the process of following suit.

“We cannot be lax.

“This is a difficult decision to take, but I am convinced that this is the right decision. The evidence is clear. The repercussions of any premature end to the lockdown action are unimaginable.

“We must not lose the gains achieved thus far. We must not allow a rapid increase in community transmission. We must endure a little longer.

“I will therefore take this opportunity to urge you all to notify the relevant authorities if you or your loved ones develop any symptoms.

“I will also ask our health care professionals to redouble their efforts to identify all suspected cases, bring them into care and prevent transmission to others,” he said.

The president added that he was unmindful of the impact the lockdown has on the economy band on the lives of people who survive by daily wages.

“No country can afford the full impact of a sustained restriction of movement on its economy. I am fully aware of the great difficulties experienced especially by those who earn a daily wage such as traders, day workers, artisans and manual workers,” he added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here