Kuriga school abduction: Terrorists demand N1bn ransom for 287 pupils

0
207
*Children run in celebration after a false alarm that kidnapped LEA Primary and Secondary School students of Kuriga had been released in Kaduna State, Nigeria, Saturday, March 9, 2024. The kidnapping on Thursday was only one of three mass kidnappings in northern Nigeria since late last week, a reminder of the security crisis that has plagued Africa's most populous country. Photo credit: AP/Sunday Alamba

Terrorists who abducted 287 children and teachers of LEA Primary School and Government Secondary School, Kuriga in Chikun local government area of Kaduna State, have asked for N1 billion ransom for their release.

Recall that the heavily-armed invaders stormed the schools on March 7 and marched out the children and their teachers reminiscent of the April 14, 2014 mass abduction 276 female students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State.

The terrorists who abducted the Kuriga school children gave a deadline of March 27, 2024 for the payment of the ransom or the captives would be killed.

Reuters quoted a community leader in Kuriga, Jubril Aminu, who acts as spokesman for the families of the hostages as saying that he received a call on his phone from the kidnappers on Tuesday.

“They made a total of a 1 billion (naira) ransom demand for all the pupils, students and staff of the school.

“They gave an ultimatum to pay the ransom within 20 days, effective from the date of the kidnap. They said they will kill all the students and the staff if the ransom demand is not met,” Aminu said.

The paper also quoted an elected official from the Kuriga Ward municipal council, Idris Ibrahim as confirming the ransom demand and the amount.

“Yes, the kidnappers called the community through Jubril Aminu’s number and made the demand.

“They called from a hidden number but the authorities are working on getting the number,” Ibrahim said.

He added that the security forces were taking “adequate measures” to secure the release of the students.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian military said Thursday vowed to rescue the over schoolchildren.

The director of defence media operations, Major General Edward Buba, said this in Abuja while briefing journalists in Abuja on the activities of the Armed Forces in the last two week

The defence spokesman said the military was committed to rescuing all kidnapped victims unhurt.

However, he blamed school owners for failing to report cases of abduction to security agencies on time.

Earlier on Wednesday, the minister of information and national orientation, Mt Mohammed Idris, said the security agencies were working to rescue those abducted as soon as possible.

“Mr. President reiterated his directive to security agencies and the ministry of defense to ensure that our kids are brought back to their homes safely.

“The security agencies are working around the clock.

“These children and people that have been abducted by criminal elements will be brought back to safety pretty soon.

“Mr. President has also directed that no ransom will be paid by the government to any of these criminal elements.

“I think it’s important that this be put out there.

“So it’s important to underscore that the government is not paying anybody any dime.

“The government is optimistic that these children and other people that have been abducted will be brought back to their families in safety,” he added.