Melaye regains freedom after 11 hours in ‘wilderness’


The senator representing Kogi West, Dino Melaye who was reported to have been kidnapped by gunmen on Thursday in Gwagwalada area of Abuja while heading to Lokoja, Kogi State, has regained his freedom.

Melaye, who announced his escape from the ‘wilderness’ on his twitter page thanked Nigerians for their prayers while he was kept by his abductors for 11 hours.

“I thank God once again for escaping another dangerous attack. I also thank Nigerians for their prayers and show of Love. Spent 11 hours in the wilderness traumatized but God preserved me. God is the best and in whom ONLY I trust. They will continue to try. We shall overcome!!!”

It would be recalled that the news of Melaye’s abduction was announced by the  senator representing Bayelsa Central, Ben Bruce who said he was informed about the incident by Melaye’s brother, Moses.

“I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, @dino_melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Let’s be on the watch out. Will keep you updated,” said Bruce in his twitter handle.

Another report said armed men attacked the senator in Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja where he was billed to appear in a magistrate’s court in Lokoja in a case of alleged arms running.

The report said he was abducted by gunmen who reportedly blocked his way in a government marked Hilux car and a Sienna bus.

Melaye was one of the 14 senators who defected from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, the senator was arraigned before the Abuja High Court sitting in Apo on a six-count charge of attempted suicide, escape from custody and damage of police property.

He was granted bail in the sum of N5 million.

Due to his abduction, a senior Magistrate’s Court in Kogi adjourned his trial and two others in the case of illegal possession of firearms and arms dealing, until August 9.

The magistrate, Sulyman Abdullah adjourned the case at Thursday’s adjourned sitting for commencement of the trial as the prosecution could not open its case due to absence of its lead counsel, Alex Izinyon.

Theophilus Oteme, the Officer in Charge of legal department of Kogi command of the Nigeria Police, told the court that Izinyon had an emergency call on Wednesday that made it impossible for him to appear in court on Thursday.

He therefore applied for an adjournment until September 23 for the commencement of trial in view of the absence of the lead prosecutor more so that Melaye was absent in court.

But Melaye’s lead counsel, Mr. Mike Ozekhome, represented by Mr. Yemi Mohammed, told the court that he had on good authority that Melaye was attacked in Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja.

In his ruling, the magistrate turned down the application by the prosecution for a long adjournment to September 23.

Instead, adjourned the matter to August 9 and ordered that the bail earlier granted to Melaye continue, while the other two accused persons, Nuhu Salihu, known as ‘Small’ and Kabiru Seidu also known as ‘Osama’, standing trial on a seven-count charge bordering on illegal possession of firearms and arms dealing, should continue with their remand in police custody.

With NAN report









Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here