The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) yesterday announced that the country recorded its first death from the Covid-19 outbreak.
NCDC reported on its Twitter handle@NCDCgov that the first death was recorded in a 67 year old male who returned home following medical treatment in the UK.
“The 1st #COVID19 death in Nigeria has been recorded. The case was a 67 year old male who returned home following medical treatment in UK
“He had underlying medical conditions- multiple myeloma and diabetes and was undergoing chemotherapy. Our thoughts are with his family,” it stated.
The agency also said early Tuesday that the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases across Nigeria had risen to 40 after four new cases were diagnosed late on Monday.
The new cases were reported on NCDC’s situation report dashboard and its Twitter handle, @NCDCgov.
Two of the four cases were confirmed in travellers who just returned to the country.
Of the 40 cases, 28 had travel history to high-risk countries in the last two weeks.
A breakdown of the current cases shows that three of the cases were diagnosed in Lagos State and one in Abuja.
“As at 11:00pm on the 23rd of March, there are 40 confirmed cases of COVID19 in Nigeria. Two have been discharged with one death recorded,” the NCDC said.
With the newest update, Lagos has so far reported 28 cases of the virus, FCT – 7, Ogun – 2, while Oyo, Ekiti, and Edo states have one case apiece.
So far, a breakdown of cases by states in real time shows that 37 cases are active, two have been discharged and one death reported.
Four new cases of #COVID19 have been confirmed in Nigeria. 3 are in Lagos State and 1 in FCT
Two of these cases are returning travellers
As at 11:00pm on the 23rd of March, there are 40 confirmed cases of #COVID19 in Nigeria. 2 have been discharged with 1 death recorded pic.twitter.com/cR94MO6xnC
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) March 23, 2020
As of Monday, most of the remaining 39 cases were clinically stable with mild symptoms and one patient being oxygen-dependent.