No stopping fuel subsidy strike as NLC affiliates mobilise members

0
267

With less than 24 hours to the start of  a two-day warning strike over unresolved issues of removal of subsidy on petrol by the federal government, affiliates of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) which spearheads the action, have mobilised their workers for the nationwide protest beginning tomorrow.

Recall that the NLC had last week issued notice of a two-day warning strike from September 5-6 which it said would “culminate into a total strike if after 21 days, the government failed to resolve the dispute over palliatives to cushion the impact of fuel price hike.”

Recall that President Bola Tinubu, had, in his inaugural address on May 29, hastily announced the removal of fuel subsidy which has resulted in the product selling between N568 and N630 per litre.

The decision for the warning strike was taken at the national executive council meeting of the NLC last Thursday, September 31.

President of NLC, Mr Joe Ajaero had explained that the proposed action was the consequence of the government’s deliberate neglect and disregard to engage the relevant stakeholders through the channel of social dialogue.

“NEC in session of NLC resolved to embark on a total and indefinite shutdown of the nation within 14 working days or 21 days from today until steps are taken by the government to address the excruciating mass suffering and the impoverishment experienced around the country.

“To commence a two-day warning strike on Tuesday and Wednesday, 5th and 6th September 2023 to demonstrate our readiness for the indefinite strike later in the month and to also demand that the state vacates the illegally occupied national headquarters of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, (NURTW),” Ajaero said.

Meanwhile, 52 NLC affiliates across the country have stepped up mobilisation for the strike by directing their members to commence withdrawal of services.

The Maritime Workers’ Union of Nigeria (MWUN), for instance, said it had readied its members at the ports to get set for the commencement of action.

“We receive a communiqué from the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, on the above subject, directing that all NLC affiliates commence a two-day nationwide warning strike to demonstrate our readiness for the indefinite strike later in the month and to also demand that the State vacates the illegally occupied National Headquarters of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW.

“This decision was reached at a meeting of the National Executive Council, NEC, of NLC, which was held on Thursday, August 31, 2023 to deliberate the way forward, consequent to the increase in the pump price of petrol by the FG without consideration to providing palliatives to cushion the definite effect on the Nigerian workers and citizens.

“Consequent to the foregoing, all national administrative council, central working committee, national executive council members in all ports, jetties, terminals and oil and gas platforms nationwide are by this notice directed to commence on immediate and total mobilisation of our members to effectively ensure their participation in the nationwide warning strike from Tuesday 5 to Wednesday 6 September 2023,” the union said in a circular issued by its deputy secretary general, Mr. Erazua Oniha, on behalf of the general secretary, Mr Felix Akingboye.

Also, the general secretary of Private Telecommunications and Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PTECSSAN), Mr Okonu Abdullahi, said members would fully participate in the strike.

“We operate in a very sensitive sector. What will happen for now is that because it will be a warning strike, any fault that occurred within the two days will not be attended to,” he said.

For the National Union of Banks, Insurance, and Financial Institutions (NUBIFIE), its general secretary, Mr Mohammed Sheikh, said the directive was imperative to get the needed attention of the government and its moves in meddling into the affairs of unions.

Similarly, the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) said the workers in the electricity sector were part of the decision to embark on the warning strike.

“Therefore, we are fully prepared to do as directed,” it added.

For its part, the National Union of Chemical, Footwear, Rubber, Leather and Non-Metallic Employees (NUCFRLANMPE) said: “We are fully mobilized for the action. I can tell you that this type of strike does not need much effort to mobilise people because everybody is in pain and going through unbearable suffering.”

*With Vanguard, Guardian reports

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here