Obaseki crosses legal hurdle to contest Edo PDP primary

0
907

A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt yesterday struck out the suit filed by the governorship aspirant of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, seeking to stop the governor of Edo State, Mr. Godwin Obaseki from contesting the party’s governorship primary slated for today at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin City.

Justice Emmanuel Obile struck out the matter after counsel for Ogbeide-Ihama, Mr. D.C Demwigwe, withdrew the case following an out-of-court settlement.

The out-of-court settlement was the product of tough negotiations by party leaders who had importuned Ogbeide-Ihama, hitherto regarded as the candidate to beat, to withdraw the suit and support Obaseki.

It would be recalled that the chairman of PDP Governors’ Forum (PGF) and Sokoto state governor, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal and his Delta State counterpart, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, late on Tuesday, steered the last round of talks with Ogbeide-Ihama that prompted him to strike a deal with Obaseki and other PDP leaders.

He then instructed his lawyers to withdraw the suit.

According to ThisDay, the court had during yesterday’s hearing had earlier stood down the matter for three hours following an appeal by another member of the plaintiff’s legal team, Mr. Ferdinand Orbih that they should be given a brief period to explore an out-of-court settlement.

He had told the court that there were moves by the parties to settle the matter outside the court and urged the judge to stand down the proceedings for four hours.

Obile, however, asked the parties to take three hours to document their terms of settlement and inform the court.

When the court reconvened, the lawyers to the plaintiff, led by Demwigwe, in an oral application, informed the court that the parties in the suit had resolved their differences.

Demwigwe said following the settlement, their clients asked them to withdraw the case and urged the court to strike out the suit.

Lawyers to the defendants aligned with the position of the plaintiff’s counsel and asked the court to strike out the suit.

Striking out the matter, Justice Obile said: “I commend the counsel and parties for settling out of court as it is the proper thing to do.”

With Ogbeide-Ihama’s withdrawal, the primary is expected to be a two-horse race between Obaseki and Mr. Kenneth Imasuagbon who had vowed to pursue his governorship ambition to the end.

It was gathered that   2,229 delegates from 18 local government areas in the 192 wards in Edo State will decide who will fly the PDP flag between Obaseki and Imasuagbon in the September 19 governorship Election in the state.

A breakdown of the delegates’ list showed that 120 delegates will emerge from Akoko Edo, 117 from Egor, 118 from Esan Central, 133 from Esan North, 118 from Esan South, 120 from Esan West. Others include: 114 delegates from Etsako Central; 114 from Etsako East, 140 from Etsako West, 120 from Igueben, 116 from Ikpoba Okha, 141 from Oredo, 135 from Orihonmweon, 144 from Ovia North, 117 from Ovia South-west, 124 from Owan East, 124 from Owan West, 124 and Uhumnwode.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here