The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Mr. Walter Onnoghen, on Wednesday closed his defence at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
Onnoghen who was arraigned on January 14, 2019 is facing a six-count charge for alleged false assets declaration.
He opened his defence on April 1 after the prosecution closed its case against him.
He had also asked the tribunal for an adjournment to bring a second witness after the first defence witness testified at the tribunal on the last adjourned date.
But at the resumed hearing on Wednesday, he told the tribunal through his lawyers that he was ready to close his defence saying he was satisfied with the evidence so far provided.
“My lords, today is for continuation of trial. But my lords, after a deep review of the evidence led by the prosecution and the defence, the defence has come to conclusion and we have closed our case.
“Pursuant to paragraph 14 of the Practice Direction of this honourable tribunal, we apply to file our final written addresses,” said one of the defence lawyers, Mr. Chris Uche.
The sudden closure of defence’ case came as a surprise as the defendant had, only on Monday, indicated through his lawyer, Mr. Adegboyega Awomolo, that he would be calling “two or three witnesses.”
Only one of the witnesses, Mr. Lawal Busari, Onnoghen’s driver since 1999, had testified at the previous proceedings on Monday.
In addition, the defence had, on Monday, applied for and caused the CCT to issue a subpoena to be served on an officer of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), Mrs. Theresa Nwafor, to testify as the second defence witness.
Meanwhile, the three-man panel of the CCT chaired my Mr. Danladi Umar fixed April 15 for adoption of final addresses by parties.
Before adjourning the case on Wednesday, Umar gave the defence up till Monday, April 8, to file and serve its final address on the prosecution.
The prosecution was given up till Thursday, April 11, to respond.
Umar said any further reply on points of law by the defence to the response of the prosecution must be filed by April 15.
Umar added that the tribunal would decide on the date for judgement, after hearing from parties concerning the written addresses.
The defence team had asked for 14 days to file the defendant’s final written address, but the ruling of the tribunal showed that the CCT wanted the case dispensed with earlier.