Remaining abducted Greenfield University students freed after N180m ransom payment

0
599

The remaining 13 students and three staff members of the privately-owned Greenfield University, Kaduna, regained freedom yesterday after N180 million ransom was paid and motorcycles bought for their captors.

Recall that bandits invaded the university on April 20, 2021, killing an official before kidnapping 19 students and three female workers of the institution.

On April 23, the bandits killed three of the students, five days after their abduction. Their remains were found in Kwanan Bature village, close to the university.

On April 26, two more students were killed and security personnel recovered their corpses in the bush.

The registrar of the University, Mr. Mohammed Bashir, in the said statement stated that all the remaining students and non- academic staff that were abducted by the bandits were released and had been reunited with their families.

“As you are aware that on Tuesday, April 20th, 2021 armed bandits attacked Greenfield University and abducted 20 students and three non-academic staff. Five out of the abducted students and a male warden were grossly murdered by the bandits.

“I am pleased to inform you that, today, being Saturday, May 29, 2021 that all the remaining students and non academic staff have been released by the bandits and they have already been reunited with their families.

“On behalf of the board of trustees, university council, management, staff and students of our university, we wish to thank all Nigerians and well wishers all over the world for standing by us during this trying times,” he said.

Spokesperson for the Kaduna State Police Command, Mr. Mohammed Jalige also confirmed the release of the remaining students and workers after 40 days in captivity.

Also, confirming the news, the commissioner for internal security and home affairs in Kaduna State, Mr. Samuel Aruwan said in a statement: “The kidnapped students of the Greenfield University, who had been held hostage by armed bandits, have been released by their abductors.

“This was reported to the Kaduna State Government by security agencies. According to the reports, about 2pm today, Saturday, the hostages were found released along the Kaduna-Abuja road. Fourteen persons were released in total, comprising students and staff.

“It would be recalled that they were abducted by armed bandits in April and had been in captivity since then. Five students were gruesomely killed by the bandits in the period.

“Governor Nasir El-Rufai welcomed the news of the students’ release, and conveyed solace and encouragement to them following their harrowing ordeal.

“He assured them that the bitterness of the last few weeks, now over, would set the backdrop for positive achievements in their lives, as he wished them well for the future.”

But some of the parents of the freed students expressed disappointment in the government at all levels for giving them a wide berth during their travail.

They said N180 million was paid to the bandits before they released their children.

In a video clip went viral on Saturday, a parent who did not give his name confirmed the payment.

“N180m; that is what they collected from us parents, without the help of the government. None of the government officials came to our aid. Since the 20th of April they took these children, the government did not release a single policeman to go after them despite the dead bodies that have been brought. We say we have a government, I’m sorry we don’t have any government. We only have those that are selfish for themselves and not for the masses,” he said.

One of the parents was said to have paid a ransom of N20 million for the release of her son.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here