Exactly one week after the operatives of the Department of State Services invaded the Federal High Court, Abuja to re-arrest the convener of #RevolutionNow Protest, Mr. Omoyele Sowore, the attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, has directed the DSS to forward Sowore’s case file to his office.
The directive was contained in a statement by Malami’s spokesman, Dr. Umar Gwandu.
The statement referred to a December 11, 2019 letter sent on behalf of Malami by the solicitor general of the federation and permanent secretary, federal ministry of justice, Mr. Dayo Apata to Bichi, directing the security agency to “promptly forward all the case files” to the office of the attorney general
Apata’s letter was a response to a September 9, 2019 letter sent to the AGF.
The statement reads in part: “The solicitor general of the federation and the permanent secretary, federal ministry of Justice, Dayo Apata, SAN, who signed the letter, referred to a letter from the DSS office on September 9, 2019.
“The Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice upon a further review of the case, has directed the immediate takeover of the prosecution of all charges in respect of Omoyole Sowore by the Federal Ministry of Justice, in line with the provisions of Sections 150(1) and 174 (1) (a-c) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).”
The letter requested Bichi to “promptly forward all the case files” in respect of Sowore to the office of the attorney-general of the federation and minister of justice.
The statement indicated that the move to take over the case from the DSS was to ensure speedy completion.
“Attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami said that the federal government is committed to respecting the sanctity of the rule of law, protecting the virtues of human rights and ensuring speedy dispensation of justice.
“As part of deliberate efforts to probe emerging issues related to the recent imbroglio related to Omoyele Sowore’s case and for speedy dispensation of justice, the attorney-general and minister of justice has requested that the case file in respect of charge pending before the Federal High Court, Abuja be forwarded to his office,” Gwandu stated.
Meanwhile, American lawmakers have continued to call for Sowore’s release.
The US vice chairman, senate ethics committee and member, senate foreign relations, Mr. Chris Coons, expressed concern about the harassment of Sowore.
“I am concerned that this case is representative of closing of political and media space in Nigeria.
“Civil society leaders and human rights defenders should be celebrated, not persecuted, in Nigeria and around the world.
“I’m deeply concerned by the harassment and repeated detainment of Nigerian activist, journalist, and former presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore.
“I urge Nigerian security services to respect due process and the rule of law, release Sowore per his bail terms, and launch an investigation into his re-arrest,” he said in a tweet.
Similarly, a senator from New York, Mr. Chuck Schumer expressed dissatisfaction over Sowore’s continued detention and asked President Muhammadu Buhari to honour previous court rulings.
“I am disheartened by reports that Omoyele Sowore—activist, journalist, American citizen—was re-arrested by Nigeria’s government. President Buhari should heed the previous court rulings, and international sentiment, and immediately free Omoyele Sowore now,” he said.
Besides, Bob Menendez, a member of the United States senate’s foreign relations committee and Josh Gotthiemer had written to the Nigerian ambassador in the US, Mr. Sylvanus Nsofor, over the continuous detention of Sowore.
In the letter dated November 25, the lawmakers said there had been a number of troubling reports about Nigeria’s security agencies assaulting and detaining journalists.