The strike called by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) continued today (Tuesday) despite the federal government’s offer of ‘above N60, 000 minimum wage.’
Recall that negotiations on the minimum wage between the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) on the one hand and the federal government on the other ended in a deadlock last weekend as the two labour centres pressed ahead with the plan to embark on an indefinite nationwide strike which began yesterday (Monday).
The two labour unions announced the strike last Friday following the failure of the tripartite committee set up by the government to make a decision on a new national minimum wage after about four meetings.
Labour’s negotiating team had, on May 15, walked out of the tripartite committee meeting after the government offered N48, 000.
On May 21, the federal government increased the proposed minimum wage to N54, 000, which labour again rejected and described as “unacceptable”.
On May 28, talks broke down after the government and the organised private sector raised their offers to N60, 000.
After the start of the nationwide industrial action yesterday, the federal government proposed to pay higher than N60, 000 as minimum wage and urged the organised labour to take the offer and call off the strike which had already grounded economic and other activities nationwide.
The government was, however, silent on the exact amount.
The proposal was disclosed in a statement by the government after a meeting with the NLC and the TUC in the office of the secretary to the government of the federation.
The statement reads: “Further to the negotiation by the Tripartite Committee on National Minimum Wage (NMW) and subsequent withdrawal of labour from negotiation, the leadership of the national assembly intervened on 2nd June, 2024. The organised labour declared nationwide strike on Monday, 3rd June, 2024 to drive home its demands.
“The federal government, in the national interest, convened a meeting with labour held in the office of the secretary to the government of the federation, on Monday 3rd June, with a view to ending the strike action.
“After exhaustive deliberation and engagement by both parties, the following resolutions were reached:
“The President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria is committed to a National Minimum Wage that is higher than N60, 000;
“Arising from the above, the Tripartite Committee is to meet every day for the next one week with a view to arriving at an agreeable National Minimum Wage;
“Labour in deference to the high esteem of the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria’s commitment in (ii) above undertakes to convene a meeting of its organs immediately to consider this commitment; and
“No worker would be victimised as a result of the industrial action.
“Done in Abuja on the 3rd of June, 2024”.
The minister of information and national orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris and the minister of state for labour and employment, Ms Nkeiruka Onyejeocha signed on behalf of the federal government while Messrs Joe Ajaero and Festus Osifo signed on behalf of the NLC and TUC respectively.
Meanwhile, on the first day of the strike, all economic and other activities in the country were paralysed.
The aviation sector for instance, was not spared as unions in the sector ensured that no domestic flight landed at or took off from any airport in the country.
At the domestic wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos, aviation union members barricaded the gates
The general secretary of Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN), Mr Francis Akinjole, said flight disruption would affect the international wing of the airport today (Tuesday).
He said the unions were in support of the action taken by the organised labour and would stand with it untill the issues in their demand are resolved.
“We just do not have any choice than to embark on what we are doing and it is clear.
“If the federal government signed the new minimum wage today we will leave but if they do not we are starting here today as the commencement day.
“Tomorrow, like we said in our notice to the general public, we are going to ground activities at the international wing.
“The only reason why we are not starting the international wing today is because we are aware that some flights were already airborne. So we are not as insensitive as some people might want think,” he said.
Domestic flights operations were also stalled at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Abuja.
Passengers were shut out of the terminal buildings as no flight was allowed to take off or land, leading to several flights cancellations.
Meanwhile, the management of Ibom Air informed their clients that “due to the ongoing nationwide labor strike, we are unable to dispatch any of our scheduled flights to your various destinations.”
“The safety and well-being of our passengers and staff remain our highest priority.
“Consequently, our flight operations have been suspended until further notice. We regret the inconvenience we know this situation has caused and sincerely apologize.
“Please be assured that we are fully committed to resuming normal operations once the strike is called off,” the airline said in a statement.
For the power sector, it was a grueling experience to Nigerians, although at ‘normal times’ electricity supply was, in the most, epileptic while the consumers, especially the unmetered customers were ripped of monthly through estimated billing.
Compliance was forcefully done by the organised labour, resulting in a national blackout.
Spokesperson for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) Ndidi Mba said in a statement that ‘union deliberately shut down the national grid.’
The statement reads: “The TCN hereby informs the general public that the Labour Union has shut down the national grid, resulting in black out nationwide. The national grid shut down occurred at about 2.19am this morning, 3rd June 2024.
“At about 1:15am this morning, the Benin Transmission Operator under the Independent System Operations unit of TCN reported that all operators were driven away from the control room and that staff that resisted were beaten while some were wounded in the course of forcing them out of the control room and without any form of control or supervision, the Benin area control centre was brought to zero.
Other transmission substations that were shut down, by the labour union include the Ganmo, Benin, Ayede, Olorunsogo, Akangba and Osogbo Transmission Substations. Some transmission lines were equally opened due to the ongoing activities of the labour union.
“On the power generating side, power generating units from different generating stations were forced to shut down some units of their generating plants, the Jebba Generating Station was forced to shut down one of its generating units while three others in the same substation subsequently shut down on very high frequency. The sudden forced load cuts led to high frequency and system instability, which eventually shut down the national grid at 2:19am.
“At about 3.23am, however, TCN commenced grid recovery, using the Shiroro Substation to attempt to feed the transmission lines supplying bulk electricity to the Katampe Transmission Substation. The situation is such that the Labour Union is still obstructing grid recovery nationwide.
“We will continue to make effort to recover and stabilise the grid to enable the restoration of normal bulk transmission of electricity to distribution load centres nationwide.”
However, the NLC refuted the TCN allegation and accused the company of using soldiers against its employees.
The president of NLC, Mr Joe Ajaero said in a statement that the union was aware of the antics saying its management resorted to the use of the military to intimidate workers in its employ who were carrying out their lawful and democratic duties at various TCN plants around Nigeria.
“We have been duly informed that the TCN management has resorted to the use of the military in its effort at intimidating and harassing workers in its employ who are carrying out their lawful and democratic duties at various TCN plants around Nigeria.
“We warn that the Management of TCN would be held liable for any injury inflicted on any worker by their resort to the use of the powers of the military.
“It is also important that we inform TCN that deploying military men to its locations is a clear abuse and insult on the military especially in a democracy.
“We are sure that members of the military so misused by this deployment are not happy with the management and the authorities who have authorised the deployment,” he said.
Educational institutions, especially public, were also shut in the states during the first day of the industrial action.
In Lagos State, for instance, students in the public primary and secondary schools were sent back home as soon as they got to the gate.
In the Federal Capital Territory, both primary and secondary schools complied with the directives of the organised labour.
ThisDay reported that some schools initially opened as early as 8a.m., welcoming students in large numbers, but later, the teachers hurriedly asked the pupils and students to go home.
At the national assembly in Abuja, members of the Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN) shut down the complex and cut off power supply to the legislative complex.
PASAN, which is affiliated to the NLC, laid siege to the entrance and exit of the national assembly.
Some of the workers who arrived early to monitor the compliance met the entrance and exit gates blocked with two coastal buses.
Similarly, activities in the various courts in the FCT were completely grounded the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN), joined in the strike.