Subsidy removal: Kano, Enugu, Apapa Port grounded as NLC begins warning strike

0
281

As the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) makes good its threat to begin a two-day warning strike today, reports say activities in some states of the federation have been grounded.

Recall that the NLC had last Friday issued two-day warning strike notice over the current hardship caused by the removal of petrol subsidy.

Labour is protesting against the removal of fuel subsidy by the federal government and its inability to provide proper and effective measures to cushion the effects of economic hardship occasioned by the subsidy removal.

Yesterday, a last minute effort by the federal government to stop the strike was thwarted as the NLC boycotted a meeting convened by the minister of labour and employment, Mr Simon Lalong.  

He had earlier appealed to labour to prevail on all its affiliate unions to suspend their planned strike.

He said the government would neither take workers for granted nor fail to appreciate their support and understanding.

“We shall continue to pursue policies aimed at massive employment generation in all sectors of the economy as well as look into immediate challenges that have emerged from the policies of the government. We cannot do this in an atmosphere devoid of industrial peace,” he said.

However, his appeal was like that of someone pouring water into a strainer.

As the strike began today, it took a toll on the social and economic lives in some states of the federation.

In Kano, the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) shut down the head office of the Kano Electricity Distribution Company, located on Post Office Road in the metropolitan city.

The head, corporate communications of KEDCO, Mr Sani Bala, confirmed the development.

He said the shutdown was done in total compliance with the directive by the NLC.

Also speaking, the state’s vice chairman of the NLC Mr Ado Riruwai, said labour had has shut down all government offices in the state.

Riruwai further said banks in the state complied with the directive.

Similarly, members of the NUEE in Osun State cordoned off the Osogbo Region Transmission Company of Nigeria and stopped its workers from accessing the premises.

The workers expressed the fear that there might be disruption in power supply due to the strike.

Also, some branches of commercial banks in Osogbo did not open to customers, while some others opened for business.

Similarly, the Osogbo head office of Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company was locked as its workers joined the warning strike.

However, workers reported to duty at the Osun State Government Secretariat in Osogbo. It was found that the workers are affiliated to the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

The vice chairman, West of NUEE, Mr Sodiq Adewale, said members of his union downed their tools because they are affiliated to the NLC.

“We are part of the strike and we are critical stakeholders as far as NLC is concerned.

“Presently, in compliance with the NLC directive, we are mandated to embark on a warning strike which started today and will continue tomorrow. As you can see, the whole place is under lock. Nobody is coming in and as time goes on, we are going to be reviewing our activities at the level of our actions.

“So far from our end, we have total compliance. Nobody is saying there is going to be a disruption of power, but our men are out. We are not tampering with anything.

“Generally, look at the economy. We are talking about palliatives, it has to be fast. How long will it take the process to be implemented? They have to fast-track whatever processes they are working on to alleviate the suffering of the masses.”

Also speaking, the acting chair of the NLC, Ms Modupe Oyedele, said the removal of subsidy on petrol had heightened the hardship facing Nigerians.

 “Our demand is about the hike in PMS which is making lives of Nigerians to be somehow difficult due to the removal of subsidy. Another one is the interference of the federal government in the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) crisis whereby the national secretariat of the body was taken over.

“There are some union affiliates that are not under NLC, they did not join. TUC did not join. All the local government area workers joined the strike. Every workforce under the NLC is in full compliance with the strike action,” she said.

In Lagos, the Apapa Port was shut and its staff denied entry to the premises.

According to Vanguard, the seaport employees expressed frustration with the federal government’s negligence to the suffering of Nigerians.

The strike also affected commuting in the state as commercial vehicle operators withdrew their services.

In Enugu State, the strike paralysed commercial activities within the Enugu metropolis partially.

NAN reported that courts in Enugu metropolis were put under lock and key, while some banks and other financial institutions did not open for business.

There was relatively low compliance with the industrial action at the federal and Enugu State secretariats as some workers – mostly senior/management level workers – were seen going about their normal office duties.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here