Terrorists, who attacked the Abuja-Kaduna train on March 28, released five more kidnapped passengers yesterday.
A member of the negotiating team, Mr. Tukur Mamu, who confirmed the release of the abductees, gave their names as Prof. Mustapha Umar Imam, who is a medical doctor at Usman Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Akibu Lawal, Abubakar Ahmed Rufai Mukthar Shu’aibu and Sidi Aminu Sharif.
Mamu who did not say if any ransom was paid to the terrorists to release their abducted victims, however urged the federal government to hasten negotiations for the release of the remaining victims because they were in dangerous conditions.
He also harped on the importance of dialogue with the terrorists, insisting that there is nothing dialogue and negotiation could not achieve.
“In a situation where military force cannot work, dialogue would certainly work,” he said.
Recall that the terrorists attacked the train, killed eight and kidnapped no fewer than 61 passengers.
The managing director of the Bank of the Agriculture, Alwan Hassan, was the first to be released after reportedly paying a N100 million ransom on April 7.
So far, 37 victims have regained their freedom while 35 are still in captivity.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday gave the security forces “full freedom” to deal with terrorists, bandits and kidnappers.
“The President on Tuesday reviewed the situation following reports on the loss of several lives in the attacks, and assured all possible support from the federal government to the states.
“We have given security forces full freedom to deal with and bring to end this madness.
“I condemn these barbaric attacks on the country. I wish to assure the states of all possible support from the government of the federation. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly,” said spokesman for the president, Mr. Garba Shehu, in a statement.