NRC slams indefinite suspension on Abuja-Kaduna rail services
A University of Port Harcourt-trained dental surgeon, Dr. Megafu Nwando Chinelo, was one of the casualties of the attack on the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train service on Monday night.
She boarded the ill-fated train with hundreds of passengers when it (train) came under cruel attack by terrorists between Katari and Rijana.
The gunmen were said to have blown up the rail track, forcing the 1000-capacity train to derail around Rijana, a village on the rail corridor in Kaduna.
Chinelo, it was gathered, worked at St Gerald’s hospital in Kaduna and resigned in February when she wanted to relocate abroad.
Chinelo in a terse tweet shortly after the attack tweeted: “I’m in the train. I have been shot please pray for me.”
— Chinelo (@nelo_x) March 28, 2022
Reacting to her death, a twitter user and friend of the deceased, @Stephadamu said: “Dr Chinelo was making an honest living, she was working at St Gerald’s hospital in Kaduna, she wanted more for herself and processed her papers to leave this hell-hole. She resigned last month to leave the country this Friday then this happened. Nigeria why??”
Another user, @the_beardedsina said: “Let it be known today that Dr Megafu Chinelo, a Medical Doctor in Nigeria was killed due to the failure of the government to adequately protect its citizens. We won’t forget. #RIPDRCHINELO”
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has announced indefinite suspension of Abuja-Kaduna train operations following the attack.
In a tweet on Tuesday, the corporation said it was suspending its operations on the route because of “unforeseen circumstances”.
The NRC said it would provide further information “in due course”.
It tweeted: “Dear passengers, due to unforeseen circumstances, Train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route have been temporarily suspended. Further Communication would be given in due course,” it tweeted.
— NIGERIAN RAILWAY CORPORATION (@Official_NRC) March 29, 2022
The corporation was however silent on the number of passengers injured or kidnapped during the attack but it was gathered that about 970 passengers were rescued by security operatives who mobilised to the spot shortly after the incident.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna State government said the evacuation of passengers attacked by terrorists had been concluded.
The commissioner for internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan, disclosed this in a statement Tuesday.
He said passengers who sustained injuries had been moved to hospitals.
“Evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded this morning by security forces, officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Nigerian Red Cross.
“Passengers who sustained injuries, and other fatalities, have been moved to hospitals.
“The passengers were evacuated from different hard-to-reach areas in forests and rocky locations in Audujongom, off the Kaduna-Abuja Road.
“The Kaduna State Government is still liaising with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to ascertain the list from the passengers manifest for efficient tracking.
“Governor Nasir El-Rufai who commended all those who participated in the evacuation, appealed to the hospitals to attend to the victims diligently.
“The Governor also directed the Ministry of Health to be in contact with the hospitals as government will bear the cost of their treatment.
“As of the time of this update, search-and-rescue operations are in progress,” Aruwan said.