Ministerial nominees screening: 24 screened, 19 to go

0
1040
*Lawan

Ime Akpan

The Senate on Thursday screened additional 14 nominees out of the 43 sent to it by President Mohammadu Buhari.

The lawmakers had, on Wednesday, screened 10 of the nominees.

Today’s exercise brings to 24 the number of presidential nominees screened so far, leaving a remainder of 19.

Ten of the nominees were accorded the ‘take a bow and go’ privilege while four were grilled.

Those subjected to questioning were Maj. Gen. Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd), Sunday Akin Dare, Mohammed Abdullahi and Ambassador Zubairu Dada.

Those who ‘take a bow and go’ were Senator Tayo Alasoadura, Abubakar Aliyu, Mustapha Baba Shehuri, Timipre Martin Sylva, Ramatu Tijani Aliyu, Otumba Richard Adeniyi Adebayo and Mohammed Musa Bello, Senator Chris Nwabueze Ngige, Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed and Sa’adiya Umar Farouk.

A former minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr. Muhammadu Bello, prayed the lawmakers to accord him the traditional “take a bow and go” treatment.

Bello who made the plea after he had read so long a speech described himself as a “member of the national assembly by association.”

Kebbi State senator, Adamu Aliero, noted that Mr. Bello had been screened before.

He said there was no need to delay asking him to leave.

“He has done very well. He has mentioned critical infrastructure. With your permission, let the nominee take a bow and go,” he said.

At the end of the session, the senate president, Mr. Ahmad Lawan announced that eight more would be screened on today (Friday).

Those scheduled for Friday screening are Goody Jeddy-Agba, Dr Osagie Ehanire, Suleiman Adamu, Hadi Sirika, Abubakar Malami, Gbemisola Saraki, Mrs. Paulen Talen and Muhammadu Dingyadi.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here