FG approves N3.5bn for evacuation of Nigerians from Ukraine, other eastern European countries

0
571
*Buhari

The federal executive council on Wednesday approved $8.5 million (N3, 535,150,000.00) for the immediate evacuation of 5,000 Nigerians from Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Hungary and Slovakia.

The minister of state for foreign affairs, Mr. Zubairu Dada, disclosed this to journalists after the FEC meeting held at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said the memo raised for the response purpose was jointly prepared and presented to the council by the ministry of foreign affairs and the ministry of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development.

Dada who spoke alongside the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Ms Sadiya Farouk, said: “The ministry of humanitarian affairs wrote a memo to the president seeking funding to enable us to conduct this exercise. The memo was to the tune of $8.5 million which Mr. President has graciously approved. That provision entails an arrangement to evacuate no less than 5,000 Nigerians.

“Whatever happens, you can be rest assured we are going to run any number of shifts that it will involve. Don’t forget it will also involve taking care of those Nigerians that may decide not to come back.

“It also includes some assistance for the feeding that may have been done by the missions under whatever arrangements. Even the missions themselves are also in dire situations,” he said.

He also disclosed that the federal government had contracted Air Peace and Max Air to avail three aircraft to facilitate the evacuation.

He said the evacuees include 940 from Romania, 150 from Slovakia and 350 from Poland who had registered to leave.

Asked if the amount will be released immediately for the exercise, the minister said “that is why the evacuation flights will begin today (Wednesday).”

On students trapped in Ukrainian cities now in the hands of Russians, Dada said: “We want to believe the Russian armed forces will obey the rules of engagement. They know the rules about civilians that are caught up in situations such as this. We want to assume they will respect international laws and ensure that no harm comes to them.

“Don’t forget that even our mission in Ukraine has had to be evacuated. So, if for any reason any Nigerian is left behind, we are very prayerful, we are very hopeful that no harm shall come to them once of course they are in some shelters or whatever place they are hiding.

“Don’t forget we had also summoned both the Russian and Ukrainian ambassadors to our ministry, and we did emphasis the need for their troops to ensure that they do not do anything that will harm the lives of innocent citizens.

“We have seen video clips making the rounds about the alleged treatment that had been meted out to black people who were on queues and in buses and all that.

“All these we have brought to the attention of the ambassadors and we have expressed our displeasure at this development and demanded that they do something about this,” he added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here