President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday approved the sack of Prof Charles Dokubo as the coordinator, amnesty programme.
In his stead, the president approved the appointment of Col. Milland Dikio (retd.) as the interim administrator of the programme.
Spokesman for the president, Mr. Garba Shehu announced the developments in a statement entitled ‘President Buhari appoints Col. Dikio (retd.) Interim Amnesty Programme administrator; disengages Prof. Dokubo as coordinator.’
Shehu said the erstwhile amnesty programme coordinator had been directed to hand over all official matters to the most senior officer of the Programme.
The statement reads: “President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Col. Milland Dikio (retd.) as Interim Administrator (Amnesty Programme) with effect from August 21, 2020.
“This followed the President’s approval of the disengagement of Prof. Charles Dokubo from office as the coordinator, amnesty programme with immediate effect.
“Prof. Dokubo has been directed to hand over all official matters to the most senior officer of the Programme.
“President Buhari appreciated the services of Prof. Dokubo to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and wished him the best in his future endeavours.”
It would be recalled that the president suspended Dokubo in February over fraud allegations.
His suspension then was based on a recommendation of a panel chaired by the national security adviser, Maj. General Babagana Monguno (retd.).
Media aide to the president, Mr. Femi Adesina said in a statement at that time the Monguno panel had looked into the “numerous allegations and petitions surrounding the Presidential Amnesty Programme” and came to the conclusion that Dokubo should be suspended.
In Dokubo’s place then, a caretaker committee was appointed by Buhari to review the programme by bringing its operations in line with the objective of the scheme.