Kuriga abduction: 131 children handed over to Kaduna govt, 6 hospitalised, teacher dead

0
232

FG denies paying ransom for children’s release

The Nigerian Army said 131 of the 137 rescued schoolchildren of LEA Primary School and the Government Secondary School, Kuriga in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, had been handed over to the state governor, Mr Uba Sani.

The General Officer Commanding (GOC) I Division of the Nigerian Army and Force Commander, Operation WHIRL PUNCH, Major. Gen. Mayirenso Saraso, said in Kaduna that all the 137 children were rescued unhurt adding that six of them were currently receiving medication at the army health facility in Kaduna.

Recall that heavily-armed terrorists stormed the schools on March 7, 2024 and whisked away the children and a teacher.

Recall also that a total of 287 children were said to have been kidnapped during the invasion of the morning assemblies in the affected schools.

However, the state government said 137 persons were taken into captivity.

All the 137 kidnapped schoolchildren from Kuriga were released on Sunday, while the 17 Islamic school pupils kidnapped in Sokoto were released on Saturday.

The GOC said the only teacher, Abubakar, who was abducted alongside the children, died while in captivity.

He said the children were rescued in Dansadau forest in Zamfara State through sustained and coordinated application of both kinetic and non-kinetic efforts by the security agencies under the strategic guidance of President Bola Tinubu.

“Recall that on Thursday, 7th March 2024, some violent extremists and insurgents (VE/I) infamously called armed bandits invaded the LEA Primary School and the Government Secondary School both co-located at Kuriga, in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, where they criminally abducted several pupils and students, including a staff member of one of the two schools.

“Through the sustained and coordinated application of both kinetic and non-kinetic efforts by the security agencies…the abducted Kuriga school children have…been safely rescued after spending about 16 days in captivity.

“The students were initially received and administered first aid at the Nigerian Army Troops Forward Operating Base, Dansadau, in Zamfara State, before being served refreshment and, subsequently, conveyed from there under escort to Kaduna….

“In all, there were 137 children and one staff member making 138 persons altogether that were abducted from the co-located schools on the ill-fated day. But, unfortunately, the staff member, Mr Abubakar, is not here with us today because he died while in captivity.

“The breakdown of the figure of the rescued children shows that there are 76 females and 61 males, making the total of 137 altogether (less the teacher that died while in captivity),” the GOC stated.

Meanwhile, the federal government yesterday denied that any money was paid as ransom for the release of the schoolchildren.

Speaking with newsmen in Abuja at the end of the weekly federal executive council meeting, presided by President Bola Tinubu, the minister of information and national orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris, confirmed that the number of schoolchildren kidnapped was the exact number rescued, as there was no information to the effect that any of them died or was held back by the kidnappers.

“There was a question that reports that 287 of these children were taken. What I can tell you is that there is no report that any of these kidnapped victims either died or has been withheld. So, all those that have been taken, have been brought back in safety to their families. I can tell you that,” he said.

The minister further said the president and members of the council were happy to note that, “as promised by Mr. President, these children were reunited or have been rescued from the captors and as usual and in keeping with the commitment of Mr. President, no ransom was paid.”

He added: “The federal executive council and Mr. President are very grateful, to especially the national security adviser, the service chiefs, and all security agents, who participated diligently in ensuring that these kidnapped children are reunited with their families.”

Idris further assured that the federal government would continue to prioritise the protection of the lives and property of Nigerians. He stated that those currently feasting on the gaps in the country’s security situation and perpetrating all manners of criminal activities would soon be fished out and made to face the wrath of the law.

“Government is determined to ensure that the lives and property of all Nigerians are protected at all times and Mr. President has also charged security agencies to ensure that these kidnappings are brought to a halt finally in this country.

“Indeed, all those who are participating in this criminal act will be fished out by the security agencies and will never go unpunished,” Idris said.