Kwara State, one of the states that are yet to record any COVID-19 case has directed its civil servants to work from home beginning from Monday, March 23.
The state governor, Mr. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, who issued the directive in a statement on yesterday, explained that the action was taken as part of the precautionary measures to curtail the incidence of the deadly disease.
“In Kwara State, we are following the lead of the federal government by mobilising all resources available to us to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the state.”
“Basic preventive measures by individuals and communities remain the most powerful tool to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
“As individuals, we are all responsible for the general well being of fellow Kwarans and should work together to prevent the spread of COVID-19, by washing our hands frequently, with soap and water, avoid touching of eyes, mouths and noses among other hygienic precautions.
He said the welfare, security, and well-being of all Kwarans are of utmost importance to his administration and as such, he had embarked on a robust healthcare transformation agenda to give every Kwaran access to better quality and affordable healthcare.
“Closure of all public and private nurseries, primary, secondary and state-owned tertiary institutions, aside from ministry of health and essential workers, all civil servants are to work from home until further notice. All gatherings of more than 25 people are hereby discouraged until further notice,” he said.
He said a 20-bed high-quality isolation centre had been completed and equipped at Sobi Specialist Hospital and plans were afoot to build additional and well-equipped 12-bed intensive care unit at the General Hospital, Ilorin.
He said at the moment, the world is faced with a viral pandemic caused by coronavirus, which was first detected in China and has now spread around the world, including Nigeria.
“Currently” he said, “we have no confirmed case of COVID-19 in Kwara State. However, as a proactive government, and consistent with our determination to upgrade healthcare infrastructure in Kwara state, I have since approved funding for the construction of an isolation centre at the onset of our administration.
“Now, the number of cases in Nigeria is increasing, there are a total of 27 confirmed cases. The federal government of Nigeria is leading the fight against coronavirus by taking bold and decisive decisions that will save lives.”
Also, Lagos State which has recorded cases of the disease asked public officers from Grade level 1 to 12 to stay at home for the next 14 days as from Monday (today).
The governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said in a statewide address that the order was part of precautions to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease.
“I’m now hereby directing that all public officers in the entire unified public service from grade level 1 to 12 which constitutes about 70 per cent of our entire public workforce should stay at home from Monday 23rd March 2020 for 14 days at the first instance. We will review this as time goes on,” he said.
“Members of the public are advised to refrain from visiting any of our public offices and to transact such businesses as is possible that we can do this on the phone or online channels”.
However, he continued by saying: “This stay-at-home (order) does not affect any of our first responders, meaning the medical personal are still meant to be at their duty posts, the fire service, members of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LAWMA and other essential services are not affected by this directive”.
While reiterating that all measures are being put in place to curb the spread of the virus, Sanwo-olu urged residents to maintain the social distancing culture.
“In terms of proactive measure we are taking to curb the spread of the disease, we have shut down all public and private schools and institutions of higher learning and we have also instructed that we should not allow congregation gatherings of more than 50 people at any time.”
The governor thanked Lagos residents who have so far complied with the directive, stating that it is in no way meant to deprive anyone of their freedom.
However, he said all those who are found violating the rules will be sanctioned and the facilities where whatever gatherings are being held (be it cinemas, religious centres or events), will be shut down by security personnel.