Nigerian musician, Daniel Oyebanji, known by his stage name as D’banj, was yesterday released from the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and other offences Related Commission (ICPC) where he had been since Tuesday, December 6.
D’banj was questioned for allegedly diverting the federal government’s N-Power funds.
The N-Power is a scheme established by President Muhammadu Buhari on June 8, 2016, to address the issues of youth unemployment and empowerment, and help increase social development.
The ICPC said in a statement that the musician had refused to honour several past summons on him.
“The Commission had received numerous petitions on the diversion of N-Power funds running into billions of naira following the approval and release of such funds to the beneficiaries by the Federal Government. Many N-Power beneficiaries had complained over the non-receipt of the monthly funds in spite of payment by the government.
“About 10 persons have been invited by the ICPC over the last few months in connection with the N-Power fraud, and have been granted administrative bail after their detention.
“Several invitations to Mr. Oladipo Daniel Oyebanjo (D’banj), to appear before a team of investigators were ignored and not honoured,” the agency said in an earlier statement.
The ICPC said in a statement issued yesterday by its spokesperson, Azuka Ogugua, that it had released the musician.
“Investigations are still ongoing, please,” Ogugua said.
In his reaction, D’banj’s counsel, Mr. Pelumi Olajengbesi, said his client was released unconditionally.
“D’banj was released unconditionally after the ICPC did all they could to find something on him, but found nothing on him.
“ICPC only started the investigation when D’banj was detained. They found nothing on him after he was properly questioned and drilled. They had to even go beyond the scope of their investigation, yet they found nothing. We are glad that they were professional about it. They treated him kindly and released him. He was released on self-recognisance,” he said.
It is an embarrassment to the entire country that such a huge allegation of 900m Naira without any evidence, yet made public unconfirmed.
“The chairman and entire officers of ICPC must be deeply sad and embarrassed also that their decent organization was used for such a shameful publicity against an innocent man. Only few organizations and persons stood and waited to verify the claims. Nigeria is evil.
“The minister that claimed to have instructed ICPC, when she only cashed into already ongoing investigation must now be ready to explain to the world. We still demand, provide the details of the government authority he allegedly collaborated with, provide the account and amount allegedly traced to Dbanj’s account,” he said.