As various African countries announce resumption of flights, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has called on African government to take effective measures to prevent the risk of a surge in COVID-19 infections.
The regional director of WHO for Africa, Ms Matshidiso Moeti, made the call on Thursday during a virtual press conference in Brazzaville.
She said the call became necessary due to decisions of some of the African countries to reopen their borders months after lockdown aimed at curbing the pandemic.
Moeti, while giving an update on the status of the coronavirus disease crisis in Africa said air travel is important for the economy but “new normal still requires stringent measures to stem the spread of Covid-19.”
The organisation cited a surge in Seychelles related to travel saying in the last week, 66 new cases – all crew members of an international fishing vessel – were recorded.
Moeti said it is important that countries have systems in place at points of entry including airports.
“Comprehensive entry and exit screening should be considered based on risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis, and as part of the overall national response strategy.
“Such screening may target, as a priority, direct flights from areas with community transmission. In addition, observance of preventive measures such as personal hygiene, cough etiquette, physical distancing remains crucial. Passengers should be registered and followed up, and if they develop symptoms be advised to inform health authorities,” she added.
“The resumption of commercial flights in Africa will facilitate the delivery of crucial supplies such as testing kits, personal protective equipment and other essential health commodities to areas which need them most,” Ms Moeti said.
“It will also ensure that experts, who can support the response, can finally get on the ground and work,” she said.
The UN agency urged governments to ensure airlines take the information of passengers travelling and follow up with them to prevent outbreaks.
She also advised airport officials to ensure social distancing, hand washing, and sanitisation.
Meanwhile, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Tanzania, Zambia and Tunisia have resumed commercial flights while Nigeria has fixed July 8 for flight restart.
African countries have been reporting relatively low numbers of cases. Nigeria and South Africa are currently witnessing increasing community transmission of COVID-19.
The continent has so far reported over 418,000 confirmed cases with over 10,000 deaths.